header gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header gaskets

Alright so I've gotten sick of the header leaks from my pacesetters, I'm going to replace the gaskets and spray the ball flanges with copper spray (or use ultra copper RTV__which ever you guys think is better). I know that abbotts are the best however I am going to do this tomorrow and I do not want to wait for the abbott gaskets.

SO that being said I know ssms says that the felpro gaskets are fine if they are sprayed and they are easier to install since they are slotted, he has had some luck with them hoever it seems that noone else has. So I am assuming that the dealer gaskets are the way to go, would I be correct in this assumption? In not please recommend a gasket that is easy to find locally.

Re: header gaskets

I guess doubling up on the paper pacesetters and the factory gaskets has yielded some results also.

Comment

I've doubled the pacesetter gaskets before and didn't have any leaks, now I'm using felpro gaskets and I don't have any leaks except for my egr gasket. Didn't use any copper spray either.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

I use Fel Pros and copper spray , works great.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I guess I'll give it a try

Comment

Never mind it's not my gaskets its those **** ball flanges I even put some ultra copper on them tonight and the passengers side is still leaking wtf!?!?
            I let it sit for an hour to dry and when I started it was still leaking. Maybe Ill adjust the flanges and retighten tomorrow.
            Last edited by Watazz; 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

It's been a good while since I've had a 3.8 exhaust manifold/header off, but if the GM factory gaskets are the multi-layer steel kind (like the factory LS1 gaskets) then use those. 99.9% of all aftermarket gaskets aren't worth their weight as garbage.

If the GM gaskets are the pressed graphite crap, then good luck. :bs:
              -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

well honestly at this point I'm tired of screwing with it. I honstely dont give **** if it leaks or not anymore. The car runs and it runs strong, I really dont have time to mess with small crap.

Comment

Ultra copper on the flange and ball joints worked well for me.

I also got the deformed thread locking nuts on the ball joints so they won't back out.
                  Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                  Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I am right here with you on the ball flange thing! Mine has been leaking ever since I got the headers put on. I just haven't had time to lift the car and try to back out the ever-so-tight nuts because I was trying to fix the leak. Ha. I want v bands or something to that extent but do not want to have to remove the headers to do that...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well it seems that the leak is much less apparent after the car warms up. Im begining to thing that the leak is actually coming from the part where the primaries meet the collector, it looks like there is a hole there but its dark outside so I cant really tell. As for the bolts I got the locking nuts also, I also replaced the dinky little 3/8 bolts and nuts with 1/2 and stacked washers on the top and bottom for more thread.

I emailed pacesetter but I doubt they are going to do anything for me even though the headers are still under warranty. And the money I would spend on the shipping cost I would rather invest in a set of OBX stainless headers and vbands.

Comment

I used abbott racing head gaskets. worked great

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X