Intake Manifold Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifold Gaskets

My lower intake manifold is slightly leaking on my '96 3800 II. I was reading up online that the 3800 II used faulty manifold gaskets that were replaced with metal ones, at least thats what was said on Grand Prix and other 3800 II cars.

Does this affect our version of the engine as well and do I need the metal LIM/UIM gaskets?

Thanks.

Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets

They use alm. ones now, it doesn't affect the engine any. Just better gaskets. ZZP has them.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Cool, thanks...found the part # on ZZP's website so I'll order those there.

Does anyone know if our version of the 3800 II suffers from the intake / upper/lower manifold gasket problems that other 3800 II engines seem to suffer from? From reading up on other boards, there are "kits" that seem to be a permanent fix such as this one ...

http://www.amazon.com/Intake-Sure-Fi.../dp/B00573RIUA

Comment

^the link you posted is for the FWD engine, and is too tall to fit into our engine compartments.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
          ^the link you posted is for the FWD engine, and is too tall to fit into our engine compartments.

And points to the rear (firewall) !

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
            Well that's what brought up my question is that there are fixes for other variations of the 3800 II but not for OUR 3800 II. So I'm asking if the problem of the intake and/or gaskets which affects the other 3800 II affects the one in the f-bodies.

Of course I would prefer to simply replace the gaskets and have it be good but if our car has this same problem and requires special parts as a more permanent repair, I'd rather do that and take care of it.

Comment

the fbody intake is made of aluminum where is the w body intake is made of plastic and has a tendency to warp due to insufficient cooling passages and the initial elbow designs. Fbody intakes gaskets may fail but do not suffer from warped intakes from the same problem.
              Last edited by phoenix_rising; 12-30-2011, 09:34 PM.

Comment

^^^ Thanks.

I'll go with the new gaskets, make sure they are aluminum and be done with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  3 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X