Please help with exhaust setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with exhaust setup

I need help because I want to put together a new exhaust setup on my 2001 Camaro V6.

Currently, I have Pacesetter headers, no catalyc converter and the stock muffler in the back with the SLP Quad Exhaust setup for looks.

I recently bought a Borla XR-1 3 inch Racing muffler. I was originally thinking of using it as a replacement for the stock muffler but I'm not sure what kind of a sound I will get.

Right now I get a raspy sound with some kind of metal clinking after you rev the engine and it revs back down...horrible. Some tell me this is because I don't have a catalyc converter.

How can I do a true dual on a V6 camaro, and I'm talking clearance wise? Where can the second pipe go? Should I use borla xr-1s with this?

Or should I get a catalyc converter and what type to get rid of the metal clinking?

Re: Please help with exhaust setup

yes do borla http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2Msn2Ig

Comment

If you alrady got the Borla, go with it. It is a great muffler. Llok through a few duals threads here. They have pictures of the whole set up. Cat is necessary to reduce rasp on v6s.

Comment

I have never heard of a "metal clinking" because of not having a catalytic converter. Try taking it to an exhaust shop to see if they can find where that noise is coming from.

Also, where are you located?
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

metal clicking could be a exhaust leak.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

^yea probably at the manifold

Comment

Yup. My car does it. I'm just not messing with it until I get headers.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for replying...

It's not like metal clinking physically but some kind of a noise when I hit the gas all the way at idle and then it revs down there is this kind of raspy metal clinking...I'll try to make a recording and post it up.

My question was...what kind of a result would I get with one borla xr-1? Or should I not even mess with that and get another one and try to make it true duals? My problem with true duals is where should the second pipe go because my car is lowered with Eibach Pros.. and I have 275/35/18 tires and I will have clearance problems as I already do...

Comment

Ok guys, I got the recording with my iPhone and here it is...

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/92824789/file.html

That is the sound I currently have, with a stock muffler, pacesetter headers and no catalytic converter...sounds horrible

Comment

By the way, I am in Macedonia, Europe currently, I work at the US Embassy here, but I'm from Michigan..

Comment

Sounds pretty much like a louder stock muffler to me... Nothing outta place. Is your car cammed?

Comment

No cam, all I have is the pacesetters and lowering springs...

But do you hear that sound, that zoooing?? It is annoying... sounds like something is loose inside.. Do you think it is from the muffler?
                        Last edited by Phantom_WS6; 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

It's from having a v6.

Comment

Hehe that's a good one..but how can I get that same sound as that camaro on youtube with the borla xr-1s? Where can the dual pipes go without clearance problems? and what size pipes should I use?

Comment

3" pipes for the win. I dunno true duals. I'll try and get a video of my setup, it sounds nice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X