Catalytic Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalytic Converter

OK, so I'm pretty sure my cat is going out. There is a horrible rattle sound right where the cat is that shows up anywhere between 700-1700 RPM's. It disappears above that.

So, I'm looking for a low cost replacement, The county I live in doesn't check emissions but all the counties around me do, So I don't see deletion as an option.

What's a low cost option for replacing, any ideas?

Re: Catalytic Converter

I'm having the same problem with my 99. I went to autozone a few days ago (autozone was the cheapest) and ordered a magnaflow universal fit cat for 90 bucks. The direct fit was 300 bucks cause it comes with a new Y pipe and about a foot of pipe after the cat. I called a bunch of shops and the cheapest place I found was meineke they said they'd do the install for 100 bucks.
    Last edited by SixShooter'00Camaro; 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Comment

You ~might~ get lucky and just have it be the welds or connections. Mine was buzzing at exactly 2k RPMs, but when I had my pacesetters installed, the rattle went away, presumably from re-welding the cat.

Comment

haha i ripped mine off for a little till i can weld it on imagine pulling into school with 3 of the welds busted and how bad that would sound lol thats my life

Comment

I had a some noise coming from mine too. If the bushing by the exhaust tips are worn it could cause rattling against something like a heat shield. I changed mine and it went away. As far as low cost replacement, I would go with the magnaflow universal. Dependable and affordable. I bought a cat from some discount place trying to save money and it went in like 6 months. Thing was garbage. Magnaflow direct fix was the next one I put on and the thing is still running like a champ, its been like years lol

Comment

probably not the cat. the exhaust loves to vibrate on the driveshaft tunnel brace, check that first.

Comment

Mine was hitting the heat shield under the trunk... maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                probably not the cat. the exhaust loves to vibrate on the driveshaft tunnel brace, check that first.
                forgot to mention that, good call :tup:

Comment

I know that you want something cheap, but anything that is not oem is cheaper. I would recommend Random Tech Cat. They'll pass emission no problem while giving you that high flow.

Comment

magnaflow 3" in/out hi flow is a good replacement

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      I wish that was the case with mine. I can smack the bottom of my cat and hear **** knocking around.
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
                        I wish that was the case with mine. I can smack the bottom of my cat and hear **** knocking around.

That sucks , I remember when mine made that sound. good luck.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
                          mine did that, and it was small rocks in the heat shield on the converter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X