Stumble will NOT GO AWAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumble will NOT GO AWAY

So about a week ago I went to drive somewhere and noticed that my firebird had an annoying stumble in it. Needless to say the past week has been from hell. I've notice that the stumble I'm getting usually happens when I really get on the throttle. Now onto the list of things I've replaced/checked already...

-New spark plugs. NGK TR55 (they are gapped correctly, I'm positive)
    -New plug wires.
    -New coil packs
    -New K&N air filter
    -Checked all my induction work to make sure its sealed alright and it is.
    -Checked all my vacuum line replaced a few things that looked worn, still nothing.
    -New fuel filter
    -New fuel pressure regulator.
    -Cleaned MAF sensor

I only run premium gas, although I thought maybe I got a bad batch and tried some octane booster. Still nothing. I'm about to go rip out the EGR and make sure thats working. But for the most part, I'm lost. I'm almost out of ideas and wayyy beyond out of patience. I need my car up and running. Any help would be great.

Also, when the car starts to stumble, it still has pick-up and still accelerates. It's just really rough and the RPMs slow down. It's not constant, like I said only when you really give it gas. Also tends to come and go in how bad it is.

Re: Stumble will NOT GO AWAY

Bad Catalytic converter?

Comment

Throwing any codes?
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

maybe etc?

Comment

X2 on bad CAT.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

CAT is still good. It's a new magnaflow only about 2 years old.
            Also, not throwing any codes.

Comment

Maybe a clogged injector or one injector is starting to go. I had one injector that was bad and it took me a year to find out.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That's my next step. It's just getting costly and time consuming to keep guessing and buying parts. I'm trying to find a GM tech around here (central NY) to look at it so if it is in fact an injector he can tell me which one. But thanks for the suggestion I'll definately check those next.

Comment

Before you start tearing the engine apart or pulling your PCM, you might try testing your TPS or crank position sensor to see if they've gone bad. ICM could be another culprit, but that's an expensive part and can wait til other more common issues have been checked.
                  '99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I'll give those a shot too, thanks. I was going to pull the injectors but I was thinking that the stumble only happens when I give it alot of throttle, so if it was an injector it would be more constant even during idle, right?

Comment

i wouldn't blow of the cat that fast. mine went out and never threw a code. and just because it's 2 years old, doesn't mean anything.
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Alright I'll double check it. It's strange though because between the time it was running fine and when it started to stumble was literally over night.

Comment

Cat
                          Crank/Cam position sensors
                          PCM
                          Bad compression (do a compression test). Could be a bad head gasket or even a worn out valve or seat.

Comment

Replaced fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and im getting only 40psi of fuel pressure. Fuel pump maybe?

Comment

I just took it around the block a few times and i noticed that once the stumbling starts (3500-4000 RPMs) the RMPs stop rising and just sort of sit at where they were when the stumble began.

So if it starts at 3500 the needle will just sit at around 3500 until it shifts into the next gear, then the drop back down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X