Hurt my car ? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurt my car ? :(

hey guys i was dicking around with my transmission i put it in 1 went down the street till 5500 rpms then let off and the car seemd to stall. The brakes locked and low traction light came on..... it also felt like the car shifted it self. i started again then put it in 2 at 3500 rpms and then just stopped and said wtf im going to break it and put it in Over drive and went home. did i hurt my baby?
    We got this thing its called RADAR LOVE.

why in the hell were you doing that to begin with?

Comment

Well the tranny, if held in 1st gear, will upshift automatically into 2nd gear as part of a safety measure.

Why did you do that???

As for stalling and brake issue, dont know
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

i dont know about stalling, but the tranny will shift itself as a safety measure like 12sec said, as for the low trac, when i downshift myself to let the engine slow me sometimes the low trac light will come on because the tires lock for a sec and break loose...

merlin
        2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

You sure the brakes locked? Maybe it was just the engine slowing the car down. You were in first gear after all.

If it was the engine slowing the car down, the low trac light might have come on because the car wanted to keep moving, while the tires wanted to slow down (Because they were connect the the engine, via a transmission in FIRST GEAR!) this would have maybe started to break the tires loose, and make a condition in which the ABS system would work, which is what that low trac light really means.

So... Yeah. dont' go tearing around with the car in first gear...
          1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

i tear around in 1st gear all the time till it shifts itself and keep it in 1st then slow down till it actually hits 1st again and punch it. I had my finger on the button because i just always do, but my friend hit my arm and it dumped her into reverse at 70. i pulled it back into neutral , but by that time it already stalled. it took a while to start, but it eventually did. dont do stupid stuff like i did, but NO doing that once will NOT hurt your tranny, thats why they put rev limiters on to save our engines and trannys. although it is not good to do it. by all means your tranny will last longer if you drive normal, but a few times messing around wont hurt it. just dont downshift all the time and dont rev it and throw it into gear. or have your friend bump your arm and throw it into reverse.

if you beat on your car, be sure to maintain it good and it should still last...just my $.02
            96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

P.S. my friends 98 camaro wouldnt automatically shift into second. it would just bounce of the limiter...
              96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                2 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X