Common Fbody Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Common Fbody Problems

Your alt shouldn't need to be replaced because of an amp...I'm pulling close to 2000w RMS at 1 ohm stable every day, on a stock alt.

But, in 45k miles I've had my car (3 years) only necessary replacements were clutch at 140k, a tranny mount, and a window motor. Other stuff, like WP, alt, P/S, wheel hub, carrier bearings/wheel bearings, tires, etc was because I bought the car when I was 16.

Only MAJOR issue I ever have had was oil pressure. But a few band-aids (additives) fixed that. Soon, now that I have a shop, it'l be getting a Melling. And an L26.

Comment

It' not uncommon for an amplifier that pulls enough current to kill an alternator. Yes, there are ways to remedy it, and newer amplifiers do make better use of current, but it's still possible. This is why, if you go to an audio competition, they will have you rev your car to 2k and hold it when making a run. At least that's how it was back when I used to be into SPL. If I'm driving I have no problems, I've only blown the alternator when trying to run it close to full capacity at idle for too long. Granted, back when I used to be into SPL, I ran one Memphis HPO-12 from a Memphis Studio 1000D with no capacitor, and was hitting an average just shy of 140dB. But that's been almost 10 years ago.

Comment

I'm running a Rockford T1500BDCP at a verified 1924w @ 1ohm, plus a 600w 6 channel amp got my speakers, no cap, no lights dim... just 00awg wiring and Big3 under the hood with 4awg... but either way, that's not a common problem, especially not for this car. Not to thread jack...

Comment

I haven't upgraded any of the underhood wiring, although I did run an extra 4ga to from the battery to the alternator. And I don't have the best grounds for the amps. I realize that it's not necessarily the fault of the alternator, and upgrading the wiring and improving the grounds to both of my amps (also have a Memphis Studio 300x4) would help improve the charging systems ability to handle the extra current draw.

Needless to say, the amplifiers are what caused the alternator failures. I know I could remedy this fairly easily, but until I start redoing my interior and doing more upgrades under the hood, I just compensate by not running the stereo close to peak output unless I'm revving the engine. At this point though, I just don't see a point in having to pull certain things apart just to make small improvements to one area. I'd rather wait until I have things apart to do major upgrades to a number of areas, to save myself from having to backtrack.

Comment

Screw in the oil pressure sensor to tight. Cracked the surrounding area. what part is that? the block?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan504 View Post
              Screw in the oil pressure sensor to tight. Cracked the surrounding area. what part is that? the block?

Its the front cover.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Does anyone have a oil filter adapter for sale for 3.8?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan504 View Post
                  Does anyone have a oil filter adapter for sale for 3.8?
                  Post up in this thread, you'll have better luck. http://forum.camarov6.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I just sold my 94 camaro 3.4 with 275,000 miles. New paint / new interior / 3 set of yokohama tires / 2 alternators / 1 battery and that's about it.

Comment

I need help with my 2002 FIREBIRD V6/3.8 I want to install an oil catch can . . . . have no idea of how to install it - any help will be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by benji2eres@yahoo.com View Post
                        I just sold my 94 camaro 3.4 with 275,000 miles. New paint / new interior / 3 set of yokohama tires / 2 alternators / 1 battery and that's about it.
                        Impressive, only owner?

Comment

Originally posted by benji2eres@yahoo.com View Post
                          I need help with my 2002 FIREBIRD V6/3.8 I want to install an oil catch can . . . . have no idea of how to install it - any help will be appreciated

The 3.8L doesn't suck oil through the intake manifold like the newer V6 engines unless your running boost its not required.

Comment

• Anyone replaced the headlight busing where the headlight pivots? My headlight housing shakes when it's up. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by fishin View Post
                              Anyone replaced the headlight busing where the headlight pivots? My headlight housing shakes when it's up. Thanks.
                              I haven’t because I have a Camaro, but there should be threads on it I remember seeing them back in the day. I’ll take a look for ya.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X