Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Everytime I run for a while WOT in second or third gear the SES light comes on and everytime I run the codes it spits out Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
    1997 Camaro RS<br />--------------------<br />K&N CAI<br />2 1/2 inch dual Borla<br />Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs

I just got done fixing this problem on mine.
    This could be a few things, so start with the cheep and easy things.

1. When was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? This could be on of those things.
    2. Have you replaced your plug wires? Or check to see if they are arching.(look for burn marks on them or look at them with the engine running in the dark, you can see the sparks is the're arching)
    3.Then are the coils. One of them may not be passing spark to a cylinder.
    4. And last the ignition module could not be probiding electricity to one of the coils.
    ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Yep, what he said ^^^ Plugs and wires are always the first things to check with a misfire.
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

mine did the same thing when i was racing. i have an msd waiting though ;)
        The confusion surrounds me <br />change is imminent<br />if I were they<br />we could be great

Comment

Re: Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire

I've been getting the same message lately. I've replaced the plugs, wires and coils. What else should I try?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSmirk
            I've been getting the same message lately. I've replaced the plugs, wires and coils. What else should I try?
            #4 on that list that was posted a few posts up
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

If the ignition module was going, wouldn't it prevent all of the cylinders from firing?

Comment

Autozone will check the module for free to see if it works. They cannot, however, check individual coils. If you've already done plugs, wires, coils, and the module checks out fine, then you probably have a fuel issue like bad injectors or something of that nature. If that's the case, you need to get it hooked up to diagnostic software to tell you which cylinders are misfiring so you can check everything on those particular ones. If ALL the cylinders are misfiring, then you might have a fuel pressure issue such as a clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, or bad fuel regulator.
                1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The next thing I'll do is take my ignition control module and see what's up. If that checks out fine, I'll start looking at fuel delivery being the problem. Based on what you said, taking it to a shop and having them run a diagnostic machine capable of giving more than just a general code seems to be in order. Am I correct?

I really don't want it to be a valve or cylinder related issue and certainly hope that it is not. The air filter looks fine, if the ignition control module checks out okay, then it seems to me that the fuel system definitely needs to be looked over.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

yes they can check your coilpacks, i did it all the time when i worked there. disconnect your wires and take the whole thing up there. they will check the primary and secondary on the coilpacks. try changing your fuel filter too, that can also cause that problem.....

come get some
                    http://www.canyoumaketheturn.com/

Comment

The coil packs should be good since I just put them in on Tuesday. It's the ignition control module that I'm worried about now. Can I just bring that in, or are they going to want to have the ignition coils with it as well? I'll pick up a fuel filter while I'm there as well. Chances are, even if the filter wasn't the problem, it's probably not great now.

This is going to be a newbie question, but how do I locate my fuel filter and how do I replace it?

Comment

It's been really busy these past few months with trying to get the ADS hardware sent out to the JSF A1 aircraft.

I'm going to take the ICM into Advance on Friday, but still had the previous question regarding the fuel filter. If the ICM is the problem, what would I expect them to say? Electrical shorts, arcing, etc.

Comment

fuel filter is right next to driver's side wheel. infront of LCA
                          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Swapped out the ICM, which fixed the problem. Yeah.

Also changed the fuel filter and added an STP fuel system cleaner when I filled up this morning.

Things seem to be running great.

Comment

great to hear things are better. stp wont do anything from what i hear, pour a can of seafoam into the gas tank

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X