Clear Image Headers Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Image Headers Notice

I just spent the better part of a day installing my "easy on" "superior fit" clear image auto headers, and I have a few things to say..

For one, not a perfect fit. Yes the EGR fits easy plus the 02 sensors. BUT I had some issues during the install:

1. The first major thing to come up (other than the header bolts) was the AC lines on the passenger side.. These headers were meant for 98-02 cars because the AC lines in the older cars get in the way... When I asked Dan from Clear image about the install, this was his reply:
    "The AC line on some cars needs to be moved. You can do this by hand, just gently move it out of the way to get the header in. No big deal." :bs:
    The AC lines actually had to be bent with a 2x4 and a 8 pound sledge, and had to be moved about 3 inches a piece before I could fit the headers in, let alone have some clearance between the headers and the AC lines. No way I could move them by hand.

2. Flanges and bolts.. The flanges are welded on to the headers and the Y pipe, on mine they were a pretty close fit but not perfect, I had a hard time getting some of the bolts in.. Plus the bolts for the flanges are so short that after the nut is fully threaded on, the end of the bolt is flush with the nut.. I had next no threading to catch onto while trying to get some of the nuts on..

3. Y pipe.. After I finally got my flange bolts in, I look back at my work, and see that the end of my Y pipe is firmly pressed against the heat shield under my passenger seat floorboard.. I can't fit another pipe on this.. I can't weld it, theres no room for any sort of work.. What a mess.. :tdown:

These are the headers I paid (with taxes) just under $700 for so I could have a "superior fit" and "easy install". I'm not sure if anyone with pacesetters had similiar issues. However, if you have these headers and you didn't have these problems let me know. Hopefully anyone who has read this finds it helpful.

Re: Clear Image Headers Notice

The Pacesetters were a peach for me to get in....
    Y87 Package
    MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
    BONE APPROVED!
    VANBIBBER APPROVED!
    KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
    Team Black...TEAM EMO
    sigpic
    Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Tim... ill ill let you know on facebook how my headers go in.....i hope to god they just f***** fit, with minimal hassle.

Comment

what year is your car?

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
          Tim... ill ill let you know on facebook how my headers go in.....i hope to god they just f***** fit, with minimal hassle.
          Hopefully you're all right Sam. You do have the better header bolts, as for the AC lines you might get lucky.. I have a feeling your Y pipe will fit on better than mine too.. CIA makes theirs to order..

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
          what year is your car?
          Mine is a '98. The two lines that were in the way both went into the compressor.

Comment

UPDATE..
            Had my exhaust all welded up and fixed today.. The Y pipe had to be cut and re-welded to fit, and it was welded to a straight pipe to my cat-back system.. There's an extra $250

Comment

So I will have problems getting them to fit on my 98?

Comment

i have a 2000 with pacesetters and it took my about 3 hours to get mine in with any problems other than me goofin around while i was doin it

Comment

there is not a day that goes by where i regret putting on headers. They become a PITA over a few years... The payoff is just not there unless your do forced induction or N02.
                  Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison View Post
                    there is not a day that goes by where i regret putting on headers. They become a PITA over a few years... The payoff is just not there unless your do forced induction or N02.
                    explain why they're a pia:spank:

Comment

the problem i have with the headers is just leaks and they lower the exhaust. Ive always had problems with leaks. They just require a lot of maintenance. The headers dropped the exhaust quite a bit and the y-pipe will scrape a lot more often. Nothing too bad to deal with, but just a PITA... Not too much gain either for the price unless you have a power adder. The best upsides were easier access to the spark plugs and better sounding exhaust.
                      Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

I just ordered a set of Clear Image headers, with a y-pipe. The y-pipe outlet was reduced from 3" to 2-1/2" with a weld on fitting. A double slip fitting was also provided so it fits the existing MagnaFlow exhaust system. I had the entire assembly Chromex coated.

When I get them, I will let you know how they fit a 2002 Firebird, with AC and an automatic.

I completely install the entire assembly loose. I place in spacers as needed and then slowly snug up everything while checking the spacers and try to correct issues in the process.

I will photograph it and put it on U-Tube.

Comment

im planning on adding headers to my 00 camaro it is stock only has flowmaster exhaust and my question is if i have to change anything else in order to add headers? and is it true that all headers have a leaking problem?

Comment

thats pretty much the common complaint. ive got pacesetters and no matter what i try i havent gotten the egr to stop leaking. ive gotten it much much better but i can still hear the slight tick. im going to be deleting the egr and putting on blockoff plates (sitting in my room now) and will likely rtv it. im hoping since there isnt any pull from the egr tube it will sit on there snug. we shall see. IMO save your money for something else unless you plan on going bigger. to me they just look nicer haha. i get compliments at shows and people are impressed that they are even on there. most people are just stunned at how far back the engine is lol
                            sigpic

Comment

Mine leaked pretty bad once I had them installed. Of course, it's held down with 7 out of 8 bolts necessary. The last one is misaligned or something. It's gotten better, just keep tightening them down. I had to do it every day before I left for class. Now I don't have to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X