fuel pump access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump access

how is it going guys 4 days ago my fuel pump had went out and now i need to do the fuel pump access now.could you guys show me some pics of how you did it thanks.

Re: fuel pump access

Originally posted by 2002steen
    ok i have been working on my car today and the pump was not turning on but i took the pump out and took every thing apart and look at it then i got wondering and plugged the pump up and then turned the key on and it started to work again so i put every thing back on start the car and its running so i go down the street about half a mile and it starts to spudder and then it dies and it wont start now what do you guys think baqd fuel pump.
    ahm, what?

Comment

i was wondering if someone could show me how they did there fuel pump access when you cut the hole in your trunk to get to the fuel pump i need some pics of how you patch the hole up or do you just lay your carpet over it?
      Last edited by 2002steen; 12-24-2007, 01:22 AM.

Comment

but didnt you just say you already pulled your fuel pump? in the other thread.

Comment

yah sry what i mean is i am done with everything i just went on a head and bought a 400 dollar fuel pump from autozone cause i need car going now.and i got a big hole in my trunk now and i was wondering if you or some body could show me some pics on how you patched your hole up.

Comment

YOU SPENT $400 ON A PUMP!?!?!?!?! my god.

Comment

V6 Firebird Fuel Pump replacement

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

V6 Camaro Fuel Pump replacement
                Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

yep it sucked *** but no one else around here sells it cheaper cause you just cant buy the fuel pump you have to get the whole assembly.

Comment

after that my hands were too full of gas, you just pop the bucket apart and replace the pump

Comment

thanks for the help and srry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

My car is a 2000 V6. I've been hearing the pump whine sometimes, so I know I need to get is replaced.

Here are some pictures. I used a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel. It took two wheels to cut the whole door.

I scored (but did not cut through) along the "hinge" section. The job is not done. I still have to get the fuel pump replaced. After everthing is done, I'm going to put a screw down piece of metal over the door and seal it with silicone.

The big difference from 98s and earlier, as others have noted, is the 99+ access area is more rearward. Also, the critical area during cutting is the driver's side of the rectangle where the line marked, "FUEL FLAMMABLE" is located. All other areas leave you 1/2 inch clearance, but at that point, the fuel line is less than 1/4 inch (say about 1/8") from the sheet metal that you are cutting through.

I found the Dremel was very easy, but created lots of sparks. I just pushed up the carpet to create a barrier from the rest of the car and had absolutely no mess.

The top of the fuel tank had lots of gray south Florida sand/dirt. You can see how I wiped it up some. The pump assembly appears to have done away with the screws in the 98 and earlier models.

In the pictures, I've just got it duct taped shut temporarily until I got the pump replaced. I''ll also paint the bare metal edges with Rustoleum.

V6 Firebird Fuel Pump Replacement

The part number for the 3.8L V6 99-02 fuel pump is 25316320.

The part cost $339.78, including shipping, from Gmpartsdirect.

I did not trust myself to be able to pull the gas lines out without making a mess, so I had a local ASE mechanic install it. He charged me $42.60. The mechanic had a little trouble getting the round flange to move at first (you have to rotate it and it has to go past raised stops). He got a bigger hammer and it then turned.

Rustoleum, sheet metal, screws and silicone were all leftovers I had in the garage. Total out of pocket cost was $382.38.
                        Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 05:07 PM.
                        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

on my first camaro, i cut up the back panel, and installed the $110 pump from texas-speed.com and it took a few hours, but that was my only cost.

the second time on my next camaro i already had the exhaust off, so i just lowered the tank and installed it that way. no cutting or anything.
                          Dave:
                          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Votes for STICKY +1
                            2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                            Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

I cut a hole in mine out about 7 years to put in a walbro 255, one of the best mods you can do, instead of dropping the tank. For the lines you need to cut a little more to the drivers side so their easier to remove. I made a cover out of deadmat material to cover the hole and then taped it down. The walbro 255 I bought, the connector was plug and play and I ditched the bucket and used hose clamps to attached it to the housing. The hardest part is cutting the hole, some people use metal cutting shears so theres no sparks. I just used a dremel and watched to make sure I didn't cut deep into the metal. But to be safe I would recommend using metal shears to cut the opening. This was on a 96' Camaro and the Walbro was about $110 shipped. Still running strobg after 7 years. I think it should be a sticky, there is a write up somewhere online showing how to do it.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X