Back Pressure Myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back Pressure Myth

ok, I have read it all and I've heard it all. I went to meineke and asked if a cat back system would get more power for my v6 3.8 and he told me it's just for sound not for gains. Now if what you guys say is true, if I get a slp cai, would a cat back help in gains? Because if not, then why buy it just for sound?

Comment

cat backs help a little, but there is still the 2.25" S pipe that few people replace.

most people that drive F-body cars are men, a couple awesome women, but majority just want their car to sound nice, or different.
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

well cat back is only for sound is from the cat forward u get ur power

Comment

The original analogies are strained, if not incorrect or misleading.

First, we have to make a distinction between flow and pressure. A hose will flow the same amount whether you put your finger on the end or not - your finger will increase *pressure*. That's why the water shoots farther. the OP implies that blocking the pipe increases flow! :/ Flow is determined at the spigot...hose size is inconsequential on flow - only pressure.

Wave velocity is dependent on air DENSITY, and is roughly 514 m/s in hot exhaust - regardless of tube size. GAS velocity is dependent on tube diameter. A tube that can flow enough isn't necessarily optimum for pressure pulses. The OP explained this somewhat well. However, it's not a cylinder's pressure wave that scavenges...it's the cylinder that fires 360 degrees BEFORE it! This is why tri-Y headers, equal length, etc are used...to time each cylinder's pressure wave with other cylinder's exhaust valve opening.

The exhaust sees the cylinder pressure at the time which the exhaust valve opens (the exhaust valve is like the spigot). Higher cylinder pressure at valve opening (either from increased power, or opening the exhaust valve earlier) both increase exhaust wave pressure. This is why bigger cams make more noise, and larger diameter exhaust lets more noise out. Between pressure waves, there is a low pressure wave (vacuum if you prefer). The larger the diameter tube, the WEAKER the pressure wave, the weaker the scavenging. Highest cylinder pressure is at peak torque, and trails off at higher rpm. This is why slightly smaller tube won't necessarily hurt power above peak torque.

Generally, larger tubes push power curves to higher rpm - not necessarily the power under the curve where the engine operates the most (this is key). Ten bhp from a larger exhaust system may not make a car faster, depending on where the power is gained. For a naturally aspirated 275 bhp V6, l calculate a 1-5/8" primary pipe with a 3" collector for best wave tuning. A 2-1/2" exhaust may make almost as much hp of the 3" system, with much less noise. tbh, a 3800 isn't a highly optimised beast that makes tuning very rewarding.

An OE exhaust is small for several reasons: larger tubes are more expensive, harder to package, and excessively loud. A dual mode system makes virtually NO backpressure at low rpm - it reduces back pressure at higher rpm. Besides, we don't want to over scavenge at low rpm - it may pull raw fuel out the tailpipe and hurt fuel economy. And low speed/part load operation will suffer, as well and tip in (it hurts driveability).

A turbo is a completely different beast. Any scavenging occurs BEFORE the turbo. Back pressure after the turbo doesn't benefit anything whatsoever. Note that a turbo blends individual pulses and turns them into a steady stream...this is why they quiet the exhaust. Instead of the high/low pressure pulses, a turbo exhaust sees roughly half the highest pressure. Lower pressure, less noise.
          Last edited by crysmatic; 11-13-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X