new thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new thermostat

i went to get a 160 degree thermostat today at autozone (to replace my stock one) and the guy there said he has a camaro and it doesn't do any good to replace the thermostat unless you get a jet chip or a programmer...cause the therostat wont do anything...is this true?

Re: new thermostat

it will make it run cooler and safer
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

The 160 thermostat will let it run cooler when your driving, but the "problem" with our cars is that the fan does not kick in until ~200 degrees. Check the posts for a fan switch, else a reprogramming is needed to have the fan turn on at a lower temp. Slow6 is right, new thermo never hurts.

Comment

should I get a 160 thermostat or a 180 thermostat? I live in southern CA if that makes a difference, cause I've heard the 160 isn't good during the winter...

Comment

what year car?
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

nope its not, it will take FOREVER for it to warm the engine up. Your engine wont be very effecient when its that cold. It will take like 25 mins before you can get the heater to be hot.
            Many people just switch them out during the seasons.
            These newer engines are made to run hotter (is what I've heard). But a cooler engine has less chance of KR.
            If you want the 160* thermo fan temps (to what it should be reprogrammed to) I can give you them. I use a 160
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
              nope its not, it will take FOREVER for it to warm the engine up. Your engine wont be very effecient when its that cold. It will take like 25 mins before you can get the heater to be hot.
              Many people just switch them out during the seasons.
              These newer engines are made to run hotter (is what I've heard). But a cooler engine has less chance of KR.
              If you want the 160* thermo fan temps (to what it should be reprogrammed to) I can give you them. I use a 160
              My car is warm and blowing hot air withing 5-10 minutes with my 160*.

Comment

well, its a 98 firebird, if that makes a difference...im leaning towards a 180 thermo, unless a 160 is really all that better...

Comment

you will be good with either a 160 or 180. I asked what year because the newer cars through a code with the 160, your 98 won't though

Comment

the only thing getting a lower degree thermo is keeping your car from reachin properly operating temps longer causing it to stay in a richer state longer anlong with everything else its costing you more gas little by little.
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                      the only thing getting a lower degree thermo is keeping your car from reachin properly operating temps longer causing it to stay in a richer state longer anlong with everything else its costing you more gas little by little.
                      not trying to diss you, but Closed Loop starts at 68*F buddy
                      youre statement sounds plausable though

Comment

BLLDGG is correct. He is also not just talking about closed loop vs. open loop. He is talking about efecient operating temperatures for the individual cylinders as they fire. This is a different thing than cold air intake.

Cold, dense air makes for a good A/F mixture. A hot cylinder...one that is at proper running temp...then fires off and burns that same A/F mixture more efficiently than a cylinder that is 'cold.' This is engine science stuf.

On the other hand, heat kills. a cooler running engine 'could' last longer, (or its related parts... ) than an engine that runs hot. the difference between hot and too hot is huge, though.

the clerk was correct about the 160 thermo not doing anything unless you get the fan temps re programmed. some years of cars will even reject (2000+ years i believe) 160 thermos becuaase the PCM thinks the cooling system has malfunctioned.

I went with a 180 degree thermo. two years now and car still runs about 10degrees cooler than stock ALL THE TIME. I have reprogrammed the fans to take advantage of the 180 thermo. I think it is a good trade off in thermos and the cooler temps help reduce chance of pre ignition when I gun this beast.

oh, yea...i drilled two small holes in the thermo. I live in seattle. car warms up fine and fast.

the deal with drilled thermo is a beliefe that some water is always alowd to flow thrue the thermo and gradualy warm up the engine rather have it reach it's thermal limit and the gate opens and hot water goes gushing into a block and radiator that is still at 40 degrees or so. gives peace of mind against thermal dynamics and distortion.

you can reprogram fan temps with a hypertech pp3 or a mail order tune or tuning software. a used hypertech is most likely most affordable.
                        01 Firebird A4 3.42
                        Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                        and other mods
                        Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

well, i just got my firebird a few weeks ago, so i'm just trying to improve it the best i can while staying on a budget (im a college student). so im definitely going to get and install a 180 thermostat-im also very interested in your hole idea...how big were the 2 holes you drilled?

and how much does it cost to reprogram my fans?

thanks for the help everyone

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X