Voltage Drops/Lights Dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage Drops/Lights Dim

This has been happening a lot lately, and I was wondering what it could be. Only at night, when my headlights are on, when I hit the brakes to stop, my voltage gage drops quite a bit, and my headlights and dash lights get really dim. Then a couple seconds later, while still on the brakes, everything comes back to normal. It is only the initial touch of the brakes that does it. During the day without the headlights on, it never happens. I just got a new battery last month because the old one died, so that isn't the problem. Could it be the alternator? Any other ideas?
    1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Re: Voltage Drops/Lights Dim

I would guess it's your alternator but you can go to advance auto or autozone and they'll test it for free.
    Originally posted by kala
    I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
    parting her out

Comment

I have the same problem on my '01 bird. Sometimes it gets pretty annoying. I did a search and found that to fix this you apparently need to rewire the alternator. The posts I found even had the name of the company who makes a rewire kit for it. Any other info escapes me right now. Do a search, it might take a bit but I'm sure you'll find it.

Comment

do you have anything aftermarket like a sound system? Do you let your car sit for extended periods of time? Do you let your car idle for a while? Are you using a lot of your electrical components at the time it happens like blower, rear defogger, headlamps, cooling fan, heated seats, power seats, or power windows? Does your idle rise slightly when or just before the voltage returns?
        Last edited by BLLDOGG; 09-05-2006, 07:52 PM.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Mine has had this problem since it was new, especially if I am running a lot of accessories, like in the winter. I think it's just the way our cars are. The alternator is probably only marginally strong enough for the electrical load our cars place on it. Many people have posted about this issue.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

the alternator at idle or below 15mph is not designed to put off enough current to supply all the accessories and draws from the battery. A dimming in voltage is expected and a very noticeable drop could occur if the battery is drained from various reasons like long idling, sitting for extended periods of time, etc.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I do not have anything aftermarket, and when this happens only the lights and radio are on. It does not happen without headlights on. There is no AC on, no rear defrost, nothing else. When I hit the brakes, let's say at 35 MPH, everything dims/the voltage drops for a couple seconds then recovers. Idle is unaffected.

So it sounds like this is normal and a lot of the cars do it. I was just looking to see if something was on the way out, and it looks like the answer is no. Thanks for the replies...
              1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

This happened to me last week. Found that my Neu post was loose at the battery. No problems now. Just a 1/4 turn.

Rob
                \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  12 hours ago
                • ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X