Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifold Gasket?

Hey all,

I have a 94 3.4L camaro. I have coolant leaking from what i believe to be a cracked intake manifold gasket. If you look at where the water pump attatches to the engine, you can see a pin prick hole on the engine where air and coolant is coming out. Its definately not from the water pump and therefore i believe that its a cracked intake manifold gasket. I am very mechanically inclined and am willing to take on almost any job. I have replaced the clutch myself and all of the coolant hoses, water pump, and several other things in the car already. The problem is that in the Haynes manual it says something about removing the valve covers, heads and pistons??? Has anyone actually replaced these gaskets and are these the likely culprits for my leak? Also, how much harder is this job going to be than replacing say the clutch.

P.S. Linkage would be nice, i read everything i could find on this forum and it was mentioned several times but no one ever talked in depth about replacing the intake manifold gaskets.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sean Smith

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket?

sounds like your lower intake manifold gasket, you will need to remove your throttle body, upper intake, fuel rail, lower intake, alternator, and coolant passages that also act as a bracket for the alternator. you will also need to remove your valve covers to make the job MUCH easier. Replace the lower intake gasket and the upper will need to be replaced as well.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply. While i am in there, is there anything else i should look to replace, if im taking off the valve covers, should i just replace them. Also, if im going to remove all the cooling stuff, intake and everything, should i just continue removing everything and replace the timing chain because a buddy who is a mechanic told me i should? the car has 104000 miles on it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Sean

Comment

once again, anything else i should look to replace while i am in there??

Comment

new Throttle body and vavle cover gaskets

Comment

heh, I have like 5 tb gaskets on mine lol
            my valve cover gaskets are RTVed onto the covers (i'm soo happy I did this)
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Good luck with the Job,but I don't really think it is the Intake Manifold Gasket,for the length of time is was an Auto Technician I have never come across an Intake Manifold crack and leak just like that.
              My engine is dismantled right now and I am trying to visualise the area you are speaking of,but I think you should Pressure Test the cooling system and see where the leak really is,cause you ain't sure and you will not feel too good to pull down all the Intake and stuff around it and reassemble and the problem still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbadian Camaro
                Good luck with the Job,but I don't really think it is the Intake Manifold Gasket,for the length of time is was an Auto Technician I have never come across an Intake Manifold crack and leak just like that.
                My engine is dismantled right now and I am trying to visualise the area you are speaking of,but I think you should Pressure Test the cooling system and see where the leak really is,cause you ain't sure and you will not feel too good to pull down all the Intake and stuff around it and reassemble and the problem still there.
                Thats what I'm saying dude! I had a HG leak. I was hoping it was just an intake leak. Redid the intakes and I bent my rod cause the HG was still leaking.

There are tests you can run to find out where its leaking the best test is a
                cylinder leak down test which is only $39 at Harbor Freight!!!!!! cheap!!!!!
                Note: A compression test can tell you alot more than just how much your compression is, it can tell you where its leaking!!!!
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

At 104K I'd be inclined to replace the head gaskets as well since you've already got it torn down almost that far anyway....it's not much further to get the heads off. Maybe P&P the heads while they're off and consider doing a cam and valvetrain upgrade. The possibilities are endless!
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

no crap, the head gaskets are only $30 and the bolts are $30 so = $60

Comment

alright, so from the looks of it i will be replacing the following.

Head gasket and head gasket bolts.

Lower Intake manifold gasket

valve cover gasket,

upper intake manifold gasket,

throttle body gasket.

um. what is PandP port and polish??? sorry man, im a way newb at this. Also, could i get some links to a new cam and valvetrain upgrade, something good for this car but not too too expensive. Thanks for all the help guys.

Sean

Comment

you will need new rocker bolts as well.

port and polish, yes,

and for the valve train

www.zzperformance.com
                        www.ftpp.net
                        www.abbottracingheads.com
                        www.compcams.com
                        www.summitracing.com
                        www.3800performance.com
                        www.wbodystore.com

what do you think? good enough start?

Comment

I've got re-useable Harland Sharp or Comp Cams rocker arm bolts. Never been used.

Comment

i too have comp bolts...., I am just gonna end up selling them to recycling, no one wants a lot fo my parts.

Comment

sell them to the recycling center? ARE YOU MAD?
                              What other parts do you have that youre gonna sell to the Recycler???
                              Got any UIM bolts?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X