I need ignition advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need ignition advice

Which igintion should i get, and also i want to redo it all, so should i get coils and distributors? I know about the plugs and wires, however im not too sure about the ignition, coils, and distributors. Please include model numbers\names with advice. Thanks in advance.

anyone?

Comment

well, if you're wanting to upgrade your entire ignition system, you should replace coils, wires, and plugs. you may also want to replace ign module as well, but there's really no need and i don't think anyone has a high-perf ign module for these anyway.
      coils: accel makes some good ones, and i read that someone else might make good aftermarket high perf coils as well. high perf coils have a lower primary coil saturation time so they can recover faster after the spark firing event. they also use thinner wire with more coils in the secondary windings to produce a higher voltage spark. personally i think the MSD boxes are not worth the money unless you are running forced induction, and even then i have my doubts about their usefulness.
      wires: taylor makes excellent wires at an excellent price. need i say more?
      plugs: your GM V6 was engineered to run with AC Platinum plugs in it. they are the correct heat range of plug for the engine and they have the correct reach into the combustion chamber. nobody makes a better plug for a naturally aspirated GM engine than AC Delco. IMHO, don't waste your money on that Bosch platinum +4 crap. marketing hype is all that is.

as for the distributor, unless you have a pre-97 v8,(or a pre-93 v6) you do not have a distributor. 4th gen f-bodies with v6's all have waste spark system, with no distributor.

to get model numbers, check the modifications encyclopedia and other resources on this site.

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: strange_trp ]</p>
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

thanks a lot, great info

Comment

Zach, I believe if you have a 4th gen v6 it is a Distributor Less Ignition. I researched this for quite some time as I was at one point thinking of modifying my ignition system to a multispark system. MSD is the leader by far in the industry. If your are running a 3.4L or a 3.8L your choice will be the MSD DIS-4. These run around 300 bucks! if you add this system you will also have to get a high performance coil that can handle the increased demand of a multispark system. And if your going to replace the coil you might as well replace it with better wires. MSD has all of what you need but I cannot recommend any of them since I never went through with purchasing the products. I would be interested however in feedback if anyone decides to go the route. I have a 3.4L auto and only did minor mods. I'm still debating whether to keep the car I've had it a year and its been great but I want a people mover... perhaps a late model 90's cadillac fleetwood, which had the LT1 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goodluck!

Comment

sweet, thanks again, and yes i am gonna redo the whole system if and when i do it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to get another phone
              by ssms5411
              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
              1 week ago
            • ssms5411
              Leaking front cover
              by ssms5411
              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
              2 weeks ago
            • transamtom1
              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
              by transamtom1
              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X