Where do I start modifying my 1997 3.8L? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I start modifying my 1997 3.8L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start modifying my 1997 3.8L?

I have just bought a 1997 3.8L Convertible, and I’ve been working on the exterior/ cosmetic portion of the car for awhile now so I was wanting to move into the engine and performance.

I don’t really want to swap it because that just seems like too much for what I want out of those car. I just want some things I can do to really maximize the potential of this engine and use it for the rest of its life cycle (only has 70k miles)

Auto or manual? You could start with a intake, headers, and exhaust. Hptuners and wideband. Depends on your budget. Suspension, new shocks, adj. LCAs, adj. Panhard bar, sway bars. SFCs. Depends on what you want to spend and what you want out of the car.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Auto or manual? You could start with a intake, headers, and exhaust. Hptuners and wideband. Depends on your budget. Suspension, new shocks, adj. LCAs, adj. Panhard bar, sway bars. SFCs. Depends on what you want to spend and what you want out of the car.
      Auto. Actually just had exhaust replaced today as well as some finishing touches to the cosmetics. I’ve seen a lot of those OBD tuners around and they kindve peaked my interest. Any experience with those? If so, do they work?

Comment

Atlleast 2.5” for exhaust and high flow cat and good muffler , stock isn’t good for much, Hptuners and a wideband O2 probably only way to go. I wouldn’t waste my time or money on cheap OBD2 programmers. Since you’re a auto you could look into torque converters. Depends on what you want to do with the car though.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have already put on new exhaust. This is really the first car I’m actually working on, so I haven’t done much of this before.

Comment

Originally posted by CookM23 View Post
            I have already put on new exhaust. This is really the first car I’m actually working on, so I haven’t done much of this before.
            What diameter exhaust? 21/4” 2.5” or 3”, it does make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              What diameter exhaust? 21/4” 2.5” or 3”, it does make a difference.
              2.25 for the exhaust diameter.

In all honesty I’m not sure where to really even start nodding the engine. like I previously stated, everything I really have done up to this point has been all cosmetic.

Comment

I’d go with intake, headers, 2.5” exhaust to start. It’s not getting into the engine, helps it breathe better. 2 25 “ is stock not going to help the car. Pacesetter headers would help since the cast iron manifolds suck. On the Pacesetter’s the Y goes into a 3” exit but you could go off from there to a 2.5” cat and then run a 2.5” exhaust to the muffler and have either a single exhaust tip or dual depending on the muffler.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 12-15-2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

CookM23, if you want to start small and haven't done much of this before, I'd recommend a Cold Air Intake kit of some kind. Pretty sure it was the first mod I did to my 96 back in the day. Not difficult, easy to undo if you don't like the noise it makes sucking up air, and not terribly expensive either.

The other easy thing I'd do? Tune up. New plugs and wires and check all your fluids/replace if necessary. Should pep the engine up a bit after all these years.

I agree with the other mods suggested, but if you're new to this and want to get more comfortable with modding, start with the easiest stuff and then decide if you want to do more.

Comment

Do the easy stuff like intake and exhaust. Then electrical like plugs and wires. Then go for the big ones like cam, force induction, and even nitrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post
                      CookM23, if you want to start small and haven't done much of this before, I'd recommend a Cold Air Intake kit of some kind. Pretty sure it was the first mod I did to my 96 back in the day. Not difficult, easy to undo if you don't like the noise it makes sucking up air, and not terribly expensive either.

The other easy thing I'd do? Tune up. New plugs and wires and check all your fluids/replace if necessary. Should pep the engine up a bit after all these years.

I agree with the other mods suggested, but if you're new to this and want to get more comfortable with modding, start with the easiest stuff and then decide if you want to do more.
                      I have a CAI kit saved to be the first thing I buy for “performance”, not exactly sure how to install it but I’m sure I could find a video of some sort online?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                        Do the easy stuff like intake and exhaust. Then electrical like plugs and wires. Then go for the big ones like cam, force induction, and even nitrous.
                        You can do all that stuff to a V6?

Comment

You could do whatever you want to the engine if you have the money. I built mine in 2002.

Comment

• Here’s my mod list, been modding it since 1996.
                            • CAR: 1996 3.8 CAMARO M5 converted to A4 Painted from Artic white to GM BlackMODS:
                              Royal purple fluids, ENGINE: ST 2 cam , 212/212 113 LS, 9:5.1 Diamond forged pistons W/ Total seal piston rings, L32 connecting rods, Comp .105 pushrods, Comp 130lb springs W/Manely retainers, Clev.77 bearings, Comp OER hyd. lifters,, 3" piping,!CAT, 65lb Motron injectors, HPtuners with 97 pcm, Torsen diff. G.M. Motives 3.73's, Prothane poly trans mount, Alm. drive shaft, Transgo shift kit, Corvette Servo, TCI 3500 stall, 45,000 BTU tranny cooler, T/A cover with stud kit. 1" radiator, polished radiator cover.B&M Deep Racing transmission pan(adds extra 2 qts of tranny fluid), ZZP coils ,10.3mm plug wires,5 angle valve job for some Manely Servere Duty II series 1.90/ 1.57 Valves installed with stock .3136 stem size, also bronze guides , guides cut for .600 lift and some more porting/ polishing of the heads, they have been milled .010 already. 1.7 Pro Mags roller rockers. Walbro 255 high flow fuel pump
                            • .SUSPENSION: FE2 SS Camaro 2002 Rack & Pinon 14:4.1 steering ratio , BMR ADJ. LCA'S Chromoly 10.9 bolts, relocation brackets, BMR adj. panhard rod Chromoly, BMR tubular sub frame connectors, UMI tunnel mount torque arm, QA-1 rear ADJ. shocks with 1LE springs, QA-1 front shocks with 300lb springs, rear drum to disc conversion, Powerslot slotted rotors on front and R1 Concept rear D/S rotors on the rear with ceramic pads,UMI 35mm front sway bar, 1 LE 21 mm rear sway bar, PA Racing Tubular K member, PA front Tubular lower control A arms, Spohn tublar upper A arms. 98’ + spindles and brake upgrade , Hawks ceramic pads front and rear.
                            • EXTERIOR: RK sport ground effects, Chrome ZR1 rims 17x9.5" with 275/40/17 Kuhmo tires, SS spoiler, JDM Black rear lights, JDM Black side markers, front black turn singals,Billet grill,removed front bumper support, fog lights, Windsheild Resisvor, Evap, EGR, Plastic under panels, Plastic wheel liners. Converted to 02' wiper arms. 6k 55 watt HID's for the low beams, 10k 55 watt HID's for the highbeams.. Ground effects, RK Sport extended air dam for more flow,. Calipiers painted silver with Dupli color kit, chrome lic. Holder
                            • INTERIOR: GTS Touring seats wide version W/ Spearco seat brackets, Alpine Type R 6 1/2" mids in front, Kicker 3 way 6x9's in sail panel, 2 Kicker titaniums in front doors, Hifonics Brutis amp for mids and highs, Hifonics Brutis 1700 amp for subwoofers, (2)Subthump stealth enclosure, (2)10" Alpine Type X sub, Kenwood double din head unit, 200 sq. ft dead mat. Rear seat delete, new carpet installed, white face gauges, 2 Aeroforce scan gauges in pillar , PLX M300 wideband in center console, SLP FAN CONTROLLER, shift glow vac/boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge in center console removed rear seats, spare tire and jack, Driver & Pass air bags removed, Sparco steering wheel added with MOMO adapter, 02' Camaro leather door panels , polished door sills. Just added Hotchkis stb.GT35R T4 turbo, .63 ar, Tial 38mm wastegate, Tial 50mm BOV, 31x12x4 intercooler, ebay turbo headers and Y pipe, 3" downpipe, turbo smart boost controller.

Comment

http://mods.firebirdv6.com/

http://www.firebirdgt.com/

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                11 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X