2000 3.8 oil pressure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 3.8 oil pressure.

So my car sat for a couple years after a blown head gasket, got it back up and running. But one thing I noticed is at idle the needle for the oil pressure seems to be a bit jumpy. the needle usually sits in the middle between 0 and the first white line on the gauge after its warmed up, when its cold its just past 60. But once warmed up and idling it kinda jitters back and forth. Its been so long since I drove the car I can't recall if it was like this before all the issues or if its something else, or if its normal. Just looking for some advice here.
    1990 Firebird 3.1 T-Tops<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Kenwood MP 825 Deck<br />4\" Rockfords w/ tweet in dash plate<br />3 Way 6x9 Rockords in rear sails<br />1970 Camaro 350

Are you able to post a video on YouTube and link it here so we can see what is going on? Mine used to jitter around a bit. The GM oil pressure gauge is not considered accurate. If you want to verify your oil pressure the only way to do it would be to use a mechanical gauge.

You can usually rent the mechanical gauges at autozone or other retail stores. I don't suggest going out to do so in the middle of this Pandemic however!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Mines at 60-90 psi when cold and 20-30 psi hot, but jumps to 60 psi when driving. Yeah post a video of it running if you can. I’m interested to see it. I know 2000 had different looking gauges.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Here ya go. I paused and started so I could try and have it as a single file. You can see the twitchyness of the gauge around 24 seconds in. When I'm driving it will be around 60, but at lights it when I'm stopped it will drop down to where it was at the end of the video and the needle will just kinda twitch.

1990 Firebird 3.1 T-Tops<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Kenwood MP 825 Deck<br />4\" Rockfords w/ tweet in dash plate<br />3 Way 6x9 Rockords in rear sails<br />1970 Camaro 350

Comment

Looks to be normal, about where mine sits when hot. Like Mike suggested you can always check it with a mechanical gauge. As for it fluctuating mine does same thing so looks normal.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 04-04-2020, 08:04 PM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Looks fairly normal to me too except around 58 seconds it looks on the lower side to what my gauges ever really ran as it appears to the left of the last mark.

I would say if it were me I would verify it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge to be sure and give me piece of mind...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Usually is very warm it would go down to 40 and then to 60 when accelerating. I would worry if it stays at 40 and doesn't change at all when accelerating.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                Usually is very warm it would go down to 40 and then to 60 when accelerating. I would worry if it stays at 40 and doesn't change at all when accelerating.
                yeah it goes up to 60+ when accelerating, just at idle especially if I been driving a while it seems to get low, like it did in the video.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  3 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X