How many miles on your V6, 3.8L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many miles on your V6, 3.8L?

Just wondering. How many miles should I get out of my 3.8L V6? Thanks.

All depends on how it’s taken care of. How many miles you have on yours now? I’ve got over 50k on the rebuilt , built motor. Had it built in 2002 with 122k miles and it looked great with that many miles. That’s with 3k oil changes. I had it rebuilt with forged pistons, cam and clev. 77 bearings and some other mod to handle boost. It’s now at 172k and still running strong. There’s a thread stickies in the lounge section where people have posted their miles. 300k is doable.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods ,see Homepage. GT35R Turbo http://www.cardomain.com/ride/244123...vrolet-camaro/

Comment

Like Steve said, it certainly all depends on how you treat it and how you look after it. I had about 187,000 miles on mine (300,000km) when mine blew at the race track. I think I was a little low on oil and didn't check. I ended up spinning a bearing. That being said, I was driving her very hard for 90,000-100,000 miles and opening her up every chance I got.

The 3800's are one of the most reliable motors out there.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Something like 240,000 miles (385k-ish km) on the Camaro, which at that point I finally started taking the top of the engine apart to address the coolant and oil leaks. Now, legend tells of a new engine being installed at 90k before I owned the car. So let's say this one has 295k or roughly 185k miles on it. Still pretty good. And I was not nice to this car during my early 20s either.

For the Bonneville I'm at about 150k miles on the L67, or 240k+ kilometers. Now, the intake has been taken apart and gaskets replaced shortly after I purchased it over two years ago, but that was the only issue with the engine I'd say even came close to "major". Everything else on this car has been unrelated to the engine (like the 2 transmission rebuilds within a year. Yikes.)

3.8s are tough SOBs. And they tend to keep running just as well "broken" than they do when they're in tip-top shape. I've got to say, GM did engines right for a good long while. Too bad the rest of the car usually wasn't up to the same standard.

Comment

I managed to get 250k out of mine before a rod exited out the side a couple of years ago
          Have 50k on the crate replacement so far

Comment

The fwd motors made for cheap replacements and you could find a ton with low K on them!

Comment

Thanks! Mine has 110,000. I have a small oil leak but it's dong fine overall.

Comment

Mine has 153k on it. I'm surprised that I haven't aggravated the hell out it by adding the turbo though. It actually used to have a stuck lifter a few years before I bought it. We thought for sure that the end was was coming as the previous owner would have junked it if the Seafom treatment didn't magically cure it. lol She runs like a top now with stock lifters, turbo, and all.

Comment

I'm at 111K on my 2000 Camaro. Although i did have to do head gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin3o4 View Post
                    I'm at 111K on my 2000 Camaro. Although i did have to do head gaskets.
                    That’s all you had to do at 111k? That’s pretty damn good!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Cam13
                      New to forum
                      by Cam13
                      Hello everyone I've been following camarov6forum on Instagram and decided to check out the community here which seems interesting. Last year I purchased...
                      20 hours ago
                    • CamaroZord
                      Ported Throttle Body: Worth It?
                      by CamaroZord
                      Hello V6 folks.
                      Wondering if any of you have printed their throttle body. Is it worth it? What difference have you experienced?
                      Thank you....
                      2 days ago
                    • Jbrookman84
                      New to the forums
                      by Jbrookman84
                      My name is Jeremy I have a 97 firebird with the w68 package just stopping in to say hello and thanks for adding me.
                      2 days ago
                    • athunderfan
                      Quarantine Boredom
                      by athunderfan
                      Hey everyone, new poster to the forum. I've had an account for about a month now just browsing around through different threads for my car. Got me a 17...
                      3 days ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Camarov6 Social Distancing Playoff Bracket
                      by LETZRIDE
                      In lieu of no sports going on right now and the Corona virus keeping us from enjoying the social companies of one another, I present to you Camarov6's...
                      4 days ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X