Found a coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
    Are you not worried about anything having gone through your oil pump or anywhere else?

Also, if you are still doing any work yourself I would maybe consider at least putting up a tarp to provide you some cover from the elements
    Not too worried Mike hopefully the mechanic that fixes it can see how much has come off. Can’t really afford to have it torn apart. So will have to hope for the best. If it’s the lower it would just go to the pan and the oil pickup would not pick it up since their big pieces. I’m going to flush the oil again to be sure.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Yeah , I try to do most work but can’t do much anymore because of a bad back and had a stroke.
      I totally understand the bad back. I herniated a disk a few years back, and I cant lean over the fenders to work on the car for hours on end like I used to, without being in serious pain.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A93E5DC4-1842-41B7-A57D-577BC7F660AB.jpeg
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	1574441Click image for larger version

Name:	A93E5DC4-1842-41B7-A57D-577BC7F660AB.jpeg
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	1574440 Pulled the TB off, he said he had to put some sealant in it to stop it from leaking. And I had the external leak so I decided to do the coolant bypass. So it doesn’t leak anymore. Taking my truck next week to get work done on it, so after that I’ll do the Camaro.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Name:	6924E90F-A484-4B4E-A076-D18674DFAE32.jpeg
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	1574443 Decided to do the intake side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post

Name:	6924E90F-A484-4B4E-A076-D18674DFAE32.jpeg
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	1574443 Decided to do the intake side as well.
            best way to do it

Comment

Started it up today with the TB coolant bypass, let it get to 140 degrees temp and the oil looks good. Could the coolant mix with the oil through the TB? Going to let it get to full temp. tomorrow and see if it’s leaking any where.

Comment

There's a crankcase vent in the tb coming through the manifold, from the driver side head. I suppose if the tb gasket was bad, some coolant couldve gotten into the oil via that vent passage as that vent is generally lower pressure than the pcv side.

Comment

Originally posted by mdiesel View Post
                  There's a crankcase vent in the tb coming through the manifold, from the driver side head. I suppose if the tb gasket was bad, some coolant couldve gotten into the oil via that vent passage as that vent is generally lower pressure than the pcv side.
                  Yeah thought about that, my TB has a plug in it , so when I run FI I don’t pressurize the crankcase. So it could get sucked in. Going to let it warm up tomorrow and see . Would be pretty cool if that was the case, fingers crossed.lol when I changed the oil it wasn’t much in there just enough to make it milky.
                  Last edited by ssms5411; 12-09-2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Was thinking about having my coolant system pressure tested if I don’t find the leak, just to be safe.

Comment

Started it up today let it get to 180 temp, no leaks, oil looks good, so far it’s good, if it was the lower intake I would assume it would of leaked by now. So I’m letting it cool down so I can add coolant from where I did the TB. Will drive it tomorrow and make sure.

Comment

Took it out today and beat on it, no leaks, thankfully. Will change the cheap oil out and filter with Amsoil in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Awesome! Glad to hear that you solved the problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post
                            Awesome! Glad to hear that you solved the problem!
                            Yes , thanks.

Comment

Thankfully it was something simple, and you didnt have to rip the whole top end off looking for that darn leak.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                12 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X