Found a coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a coolant leak

So I noticed coolant in front of the engine on my the ground, been low on coolant since I got it home maybe a cup here and there. Checked the oil today and yep there’s coolant in it. Coolant elbow looks good. Need some ideas what to check, coolant looks good,head gaskets is we’re replaced 3 years ago , water pump last year.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

I don’t think head gaskets, maybe lower intake?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I'd say lim gasket. Do you know if the guy that did your cam change used the stock plastic gaskets or the aluminum ones ? If the plastic gaskets, it's a common leak problem, especially if he over torqued the lim bolts...

Comment

Used the alm. ones from ZZP but used silicone for what they used on Kia’s since he works there. I gave him 2 tubes of the A/C delco sealant from ZZP but didn’t use them , which I think was a mistake. Going to change the oil tomorrow and see if I can see it coming out externally. Already ordered the gaskets.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 12-01-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a gasket to me- maybe something wasn't torqued down?

Why not take it back to him?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

As of now he doesn’t believe me, being a pain, ordered the gaskets, will get them Wednesday. I’ll see if he’ll warranty his work. Weather depending I’ll get to it this weekend.

Comment

Before you open and use the gaskets, did you check for compression on the car? What about investigating if he torqued the bolts properly? Did he reuse the old head bolts? I think those are TTY bolts aren't they?

Comment

Car runs great only pulled the intakes left the heads alone since it was a cam and timing chain install. Should have the gaskets tomorrow and depending on weather I’ll get to it as soon as I can. Working on a carport so the wind will blow rain and snow in.If I had oil in the coolant I would assume head gasket. This is really going to mess my back up so it’s going to take awhile.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 12-03-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

When I had oil in my coolant it was a lower intake manifold gasket.

Be careful with your back- you’re nuts working in a car port in the winter time. I used to think I was nuts working in an unheated garage in the winter time lol

Comment

Lol , yeah I’m going to take it slow, already have bags with labels on them. Figure I’ll do it in sections and rest inbetween. We’re up north but no to cold , it’s the wind that’s a killer.

Comment

Weather too bad today, had a storm moved in. Got some of the gaskets, going to go ahead and change the oil tomorrow.

Comment

Changed the oil, found some sealant in the oil. Guess I found the answer. He should of used the sealant I gave him. Went and talked to the shop mechanic about 15 miles away and he’ll do the gaskets for me said a couple of hours so $170 to $340 in labor .
                        Attached Files

Comment

Are you not worried about anything having gone through your oil pump or anywhere else?

Also, if you are still doing any work yourself I would maybe consider at least putting up a tarp to provide you some cover from the elements

Comment

Wow, sorry that other guy didnt do the job right. That's why I try to do all my work myself. It seams nobody cares about the quality of their work anymore... jeez, I sound old...

Comment

Yeah , I try to do most work but can’t do much anymore because of a bad back and had a stroke.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X