Slo Poke!!! !/4 mile bracket project - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slo Poke!!! !/4 mile bracket project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slo Poke!!! !/4 mile bracket project

We just started playing with a 98 3.8 liter Camaro. Stock with my son driving it ran a best of 15.91 @ 85mph. This was on a really shitty air day.
    We are taking it out this weekend again. Changes made 160 T stat and hopefully better tires.

Wondering what it will do? Maybe a 15.70? We will see.

Over the winter the plan to to install 4.10 or 4.56 gears
    Fresh air possibly
    Delete AC
    Delete PS
    Aluminum drive shaft
    Should be interesting..... Any suggestions. Would love to hear them....

You a m5 or A4?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The aluminum drive shaft should net you at least 20lbs in weight savings if you're replacing the 2-pc. I think the aluminum shaft only weighs around 11lbs. It's been a while since I installed mine so I may be remembering incorrectly, but it's a nice upgrade in my opinion.

Removing the A/C compressor and bracket and running a shorter serpentine belt is a great idea for weight savings. Alternatively there are A/C delete brackets that keep a pulley in the original position of the compressor. I'm running that now, but for max weight savings I'd go the route of the former.

Suggestions:

Headers. Even Pacesetters would have a weight savings over the stock iron manifolds and heat shields. Plus it'll help the engine breathe a little better. If you're going that way you might as well look into an upgrade to the air intake as well.

Depending how much you're into modifying the car, there are plenty of front end suspension parts out there that can help shed pounds, but they generally aren't cheap unless you find them used.

Also check the weight of the wheels you're running. I know there are several styles that fit our F-bodies and some are heavier than others. I seem to recall 5-spoke wheels being lighter than the salad-shooters from 93-96, but I haven't reviewed the numbers in some time.

Comment

A shot of nitrious.

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post
          The aluminum drive shaft should net you at least 20lbs in weight savings if you're replacing the 2-pc. I think the aluminum shaft only weighs around 11lbs. It's been a while since I installed mine so I may be remembering incorrectly, but it's a nice upgrade in my opinion.

Removing the A/C compressor and bracket and running a shorter serpentine belt is a great idea for weight savings. Alternatively there are A/C delete brackets that keep a pulley in the original position of the compressor. I'm running that now, but for max weight savings I'd go the route of the former.

Suggestions:

Headers. Even Pacesetters would have a weight savings over the stock iron manifolds and heat shields. Plus it'll help the engine breathe a little better. If you're going that way you might as well look into an upgrade to the air intake as well.

Depending how much you're into modifying the car, there are plenty of front end suspension parts out there that can help shed pounds, but they generally aren't cheap unless you find them used.

Also check the weight of the wheels you're running. I know there are several styles that fit our F-bodies and some are heavier than others. I seem to recall 5-spoke wheels being lighter than the salad-shooters from 93-96, but I haven't reviewed the numbers in some time.
          Thanks for your input. For front springs... Is there anything lighter then the V6 spring? Maybe something from another model car?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
            A shot of nitrious.
            Thanks but not really my thing.... :)

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              You a m5 or A4?
              A4 my friend ....

Comment

BTW The Car ran 15.55 on the weekend. We are getting there.....

Comment

Is the y87 code on it. If it does then you should have the 3.43 gear and better exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                    Is the y87 code on it. If it does then you should have the 3.43 gear and better exhaust.
                    I'm not sure.... It has the 3.43 posi... Where do I find the code?

Comment

Just to correct you, its 3.42. Since a A4 then you could do a Transgo shift kit and a stall . How much you looking to put in it , would be a good question.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The codes should be on the drivers door or I think the glove box.

Comment

Highest gear I would go in the A4 is 3.90. I hated my 4.10’s for highway driving.

If you end up having 3.42’s then it’s not likely worth the change in gears given you don’t want to spend much.

focus on removing as much weight as you can. Pull the carpet up and remove the sound deadening pad from the back of it, delete engine brackets you don’t need, lightweight battery, etc. you’ll need to get creative but if you can get below 3000lbs with you in it you’re doing yourself a huge favor

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by 6PK... View Post

Thanks for your input. For front springs... Is there anything lighter then the V6 spring? Maybe something from another model car?
                            That's a good question, unfortunately I don't have an answer on springs from another vehicle that may work.

There are plenty of lowering spring options, but as far as I know (and anyone can correct me here), the SP141 springs from Strano Performance are the only ones I know of that will work with OE style front shocks and are lighter than stock, up to 35% according to a few write ups. That being said, I believe you have to buy all 4 as a set.

UPDATE: Vogtland springs (SKU: VOG 959213) are also 30%+ lighter than stock springs.
                            Last edited by Namrepus28; 08-21-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Don't bother changing gears if you have the 3:42.
                              HP tuners
                              Aluminum drivshaft
                              Stall converter above 3200.
                              Lightweight wheels.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X