No announcement yet.

Turbo 3.8 Spun bearing failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Just pulled an L32 out of 2006 Gran Prix (supercharger and all) with 85k on it for 800$. Literally the only one on Long Island we could find and with low mileage, I want the lower compression to run more boost safely.

Comment

Originally posted by alex553 View Post
      Also if you can, make the switch to e85
      I wanted to run E85 actually, but its my daily and E85 is hard to come by around here, will start with 93 and may switch over one day.

Comment

Yeah no E85 close here. Would be even sweet to run 93 too. Only 91 here.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Turbovert01 View Post

I wanted to run E85 actually, but its my daily and E85 is hard to come by around here, will start with 93 and may switch over one day.
          Have you looked into Meth? I want to run meth even on my NA car. Aside from the cooling benefits pure meth will give you an octane rating of 116 when sprayed with the use of 91 octane in the tank.

Especially being a turbo car the benefits are way bigger than NA cars

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

Have you looked into Meth? I want to run meth even on my NA car. Aside from the cooling benefits pure meth will give you an octane rating of 116 when sprayed with the use of 91 octane in the tank.

Especially being a turbo car the benefits are way bigger than NA cars
            Hmm I had not considered that, I don’t have any knowledge on meth, but this is a DD for me so I didn’t want go too crazy with the fueling it’s set up for 93 right now. Maybe in the future :)

Comment

Update: tore down L32 to the block, dropped my K member and am beginning to transfer parts. Here’s a pic from last weekend when I had just dropped the K member.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	73533D16-41FB-46DC-8F8F-8FC3B0117195.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	1573477

Comment

Looks good, and you can sell the left over parts.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

How much for the blower? My fiero is gonna need that! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by alex553 View Post
                    How much for the blower? My fiero is gonna need that! Lol
                    ZZP sells them used for 400$, I was going to ask 200$ + shipping for it. 04-07 generation 5 Eaton M90, Spins freely and has 85k on it.

Comment

That’s a good price for the 5th gen blowers.

Meth is a good thing to look into- even if you don’t tune the car on edge and use it for safety. You can have it only spray at WOT, so it lasts a long time before having to refill. A lot of guys actually hook it up to the windshield washer fluid and use the washer fluid which is 40% meth in their cars.

You could actually not use a intercooler too if you wanted as meth cools the intake charge quite a bit

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Always run a intercooler with a turbo , meth is just a added feature to run more boost with no KR. You'll burn a piston with no intercooler.

Comment

Update: tore down L32 to the block, dropped my K member and am beginning to transfer parts. Here’s a pic from last weekend when I had just dropped the K member.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	73533D16-41FB-46DC-8F8F-8FC3B0117195.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	1573477
                          Have you torn down the L32 block to determine the cause of the failure? Was it actually a spun bearing and what bearing failed? In my experience it is usually a blocked oil passage or pump failing or failed. Which could be from something as simple as a poor choice in oil filters. Many oil filters have allowed trash to pass thru. Napa or WIX(I think WIX supplies NAPA?) have proven to be the most reliable. It was discussed in the buick community and that was the conclusion.

Comment

Hey quick question guys I can’t find a solid answer online, can I use the L36 flexplate on my L32 block? Some people say it’s fine some say it will spin a bearing.

UPDATE: This is a flexplate not flywheel so I’m pretty sure we can, ZZP says so because it’s internally balanced
                            Last edited by Turbovert01; 06-06-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADOWII View Post

Have you torn down the L32 block to determine the cause of the failure? Was it actually a spun bearing and what bearing failed? In my experience it is usually a blocked oil passage or pump failing or failed. Which could be from something as simple as a poor choice in oil filters. Many oil filters have allowed trash to pass thru. Napa or WIX(I think WIX supplies NAPA?) have proven to be the most reliable. It was discussed in the buick community and that was the conclusion.
                              It was the L36 block I spun the bearing in, I’m replacing it with the L32 block, but yea it was a spun bearing. It was cylinder 6 rod bearing. I’m sure it was oil that actually did it, as we dropped pressure, but I think what triggered the oil problem was running lean from lack of fuel for some reason. I will now hook up a fuel pressure gauge so this doesn’t happen again.

Comment

Hey quick question guys I can’t find a solid answer online, can I use the L36 flexplate on my L32 block? Some people say it’s fine some say it will spin a bearing.

UPDATE: This is a flexplate not flywheel so I’m pretty sure we can, ZZP says so because it’s internally balanced
                                Yeah, I would think so when I went from a M5 to A4 we just put a flexplate on. No problems. Hows the L32 coming along? You doing the cam,heads and double roller on to the L32?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  9 hours ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X