Turbo 3.8 Spun bearing failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo 3.8 Spun bearing failure

Hey guys, some of you may have been following my turbo build using the eBay kit. Well today we drove the car and went WOT for the first time and spun a bearing... . Absolutely devastating that the 75k short block couldn’t handle 8PSI, but not sure exactly what went wrong but here we are.
    I’m looking at the best possible next steps and I could use some advice. I am looking for a cheaper solution but don’t want to build the bottom end myself as I want the car back ASAP and do not want to spend 4K on having someone machine and rebuild me a forged engine. I also don’t want to just pull one out of a junkyard and take another gamble.
    I am thinking about buying an L67 short block from MABBCO In Texas as I hear they have stronger internals and have lower compression for boost. This will cost me 995$ for the L67 shortblock and 350$ to ship to my door. I think this is a better idea then rebuilding my L36 with stock internals and gapping the rings and hoping again. What do you guys think I should do? And is the L67 block a good idea to opt for right now while the engine is broke and will it work with my heads and valvetrain etc, or is there a better alternative?
    Thank you in advance, Andrew
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5A9D9A7E-FC5E-4A66-BD2D-9E1D12652C56.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	367.5 KB ID:	1573428
    Last edited by Turbovert01; 05-18-2019, 06:35 PM.

If it were me I'd go forged pistons and clev. 77 bearings and your cam should be good. Thats what I did in 2002 and its still going strong. L67 will work and the newer ones have L32 rods if thats how you want to go, but if your a lifer like me I'd do the forged pistons.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What is necessary to forge the bottom end, I see some kits for 2k?
      http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/fts...-assembly.html
      what else would I need for a forged rebuild besides a kit like this and how would it hold up compared to a stock L67 block?

Comment

Never seen that kit before, I would just get the diamond pistons which should come with total seal piston rings and some clevlite 77 bearings , L32 rods and your done , ZZP should sell everything. Since you spun a bearing I would see if they can machine your current one or just buy a new one. No need for a stroker kit. Stock cranks are fine. Especially since your running low boost.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Checked ZZPERFORMANCE, they have rhe JE forged pistons about the same price as Diamond pistons. They also have L32 rods and clevlite 77 bearings.

Comment

If I had the time and money that is what I would ideally want to do. I can get a new rebuilt L67 block from MABBCO for 995$, which has lower compression at 8.5:1 compared to the L36 9.4:1. I am reading in forums that this lower compression will make it harder for me to gain HP with lower boost. I'm not sure what to do, get the L67 block or L36 block.

Comment

There's also a option to get a L26 block its the same as a L36 but has powered coated L32 rods. Have to strip the block and use all the accessories off your L36 . They were in buick Lucernes and grand prixs that weren't supercharged. Look for 05-08 L26's. Might be wrong on the years they came in. Or search this site for L26 swap.

Comment

Good advice. I think ive decided to drop compression to 8.5:1 to be able to run higher boost. That being said I am now between an L32 and L67 block. I understand the L32 has stronger rods, how much better is the L32 bottom end then the L67 or are they pretty much the same? Also will my L36 top end I just built all bolt on to the bare block?
                Last edited by Turbovert01; 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

There probably better rods since they replaced the L67, you'll have to use your heads since the l67 has the fuel injector in the head not in the intake and all the accessories. Good luck with the build. How much timing were you running? And what was your A/F?

Comment

I’m not really sure what either was I have the scan on HPtuners but wasn’t looking at timing or A/F, I just blindly trusted the tune. I know my own fault. Hopefully will have the car running again in a month.

Comment

Yeah, always look for KR and A/F. A month isn't too bad.

Comment

I’m deciding whether I want to have an L67 rebuilt by MABBCO, which has mixed reviews, or pull one out of a junkyard. ZZP is a huge believer in saying the the bottom end is built the best and the rebuilds actually have a higher failure rate. Do you have any experience with this?

Comment

No idea, when mine goes its a L26 block with forged pistons. Never looked up zzperformance engine blocks before but they should be reliable I would think, they've been around along time, and mabbco never heard of them.

Comment

I recommend just buying and l26 block from a lucern or something similar, it will hold

Comment

Also if you can, make the switch to e85

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X