Turbo 3.8 Spun bearing failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turbovert01 View Post

It was the L36 block I spun the bearing in, I’m replacing it with the L32 block, but yea it was a spun bearing. It was cylinder 6 rod bearing. I’m sure it was oil that actually did it, as we dropped pressure, but I think what triggered the oil problem was running lean from lack of fuel for some reason. I will now hook up a fuel pressure gauge so this doesn’t happen again.
    I am trying to understand the issue so others following in your path can avoid the pit falls along the way, so bare w/me. Your thoughts are, the fuel leaning caused KR to beat the bearing, resulting in the "spun bearing" correct? Can you tell if the fuel lean was on all cylinders or just #6?
    I am very familiar w/turbo charging and know the importance of the fuel system which leads me to my next question. Were you able to monitor the fuel psi rise w/the applied boost? Or doesn't hptuners monitor that? I don't have much knowledge of Hptuners, sorry. Any info on #6 cylinder in the event that the problem was caused by the injector and not the fuel pump being able to keep up w/the demand, because in order to reach your goal of 16#'s of boost, the minimum pressure supplied by the pump would have to be ~70#s.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADOWII View Post

I am trying to understand the issue so others following in your path can avoid the pit falls along the way, so bare w/me. Your thoughts are, the fuel leaning caused KR to beat the bearing, resulting in the "spun bearing" correct? Can you tell if the fuel lean was on all cylinders or just #6?
      I am very familiar w/turbo charging and know the importance of the fuel system which leads me to my next question. Were you able to monitor the fuel psi rise w/the applied boost? Or doesn't hptuners monitor that? I don't have much knowledge of Hptuners, sorry. Any info on #6 cylinder in the event that the problem was caused by the injector and not the fuel pump being able to keep up w/the demand, because in order to reach your goal of 16#'s of boost, the minimum pressure supplied by the pump would have to be ~70#s.
      No info on fuel pressure whatsoever sadly, should have had a temporary gauge in at least but got too excited and skipped it. This time I will hook one up and see if thats what happened for sure. pump and Injectors should have handled it (320 LPH pump) and 60# injectors but maybe something else is wrong. I’ll know when I get this new engine what is wrong for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post

Yeah, I would think so when I went from a M5 to A4 we just put a flexplate on. No problems. Hows the L32 coming along? You doing the cam,heads and double roller on to the L32?
        All of the above ;) . Working on it as I type this, almost fully built and ready to be dropped back in.

Comment

Nice , good deal.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X