PCV Air/Oil Separator Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV Air/Oil Separator Installed

Final finished designing, fabricating and installing my "OEM" PCV A/O separator.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Looks good. Can you take a engine pic that shows all of it in one shot?
    Last edited by ssms5411; 01-26-2019, 10:13 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Looks good! So is this basically a "catch can" that is inline with the stock hoses? What would be the advantage of this over say a conventional catch can?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
        Looks good! So is this basically a "catch can" that is inline with the stock hoses? What would be the advantage of this over say a conventional catch can?
        Nope

Moroso p/n 85632

GM molded 3/8" ID PCV line from PCV valve to A/O Separator then another GM line to Y with EVAP purge line into TB.

Raven

Comment

I am confused? My understanding of catch cans is that is how they are meant to work? Pull the oil from the air so it doesn't cake the valves? Or maybe I am not understanding one vs the other?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            I am confused? My understanding of catch cans is that is how they are meant to work? Pull the oil from the air so it doesn't cake the valves? Or maybe I am not understanding one vs the other?
            No - it's not a "catch can" - it has internals to remove the oil from the air. "Catch cans" are $30 on eBay - this was $160.

https://www.moroso.com/air-oil-separ...all-body85632/
            Last edited by FirebirdGT; 01-28-2019, 11:12 PM.

Raven

Comment

Just read up on it, makes more sense now. Air oil separator cleans the air and sends clean air to the engine and the oil back to the crankcase while a catch-can just holds the oil from the blow by.

Nice looking setup

Comment

How would you run it for a boosted setup, just the same but plugged TB?
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  How would you run it for a boosted setup, just the same but plugged TB?
                  No - you need to get the "cleaned air" back into the intake after the MAF - problem is you have a pressurized TB, and you also need to get air into the crankcase.

Raven

Comment

Will this work well with people with force induction and have blocked off the pvc hole.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post

No - you need to get the "cleaned air" back into the intake after the MAF - problem is you have a pressurized TB, and you also need to get air into the crankcase.
                      Yeah , I figured it would be a problem, don't want to blow the dipstick out. I haven't had any problems the way it is ,so I'll just leave it.

Comment

Yeah , I figured it would be a problem, don't want to blow the dipstick out. I haven't had any problems the way it is ,so I'll just leave it.
                        How did you, or any anyone else, block the hole from the PCV valve into the UIM? Curious.

Raven

Comment

How did you, or any anyone else, block the hole from the PCV valve into the UIM? Curious.
                          yeah, just put a plug into the TB, on ours its the only way to run a boosted setup doing that and running a valve cover breather.

Comment

yeah, just put a plug into the TB, on ours its the only way to run a boosted setup doing that and running a valve cover breather.
                            Yes - plugging the TB hole for the air passage to the crankcase - but what about the hole into the UIM from the crankcase through the PCV valve? Leave it and let the high UIM pressure keep it shut?

Raven

Comment

Yes - plugging the TB hole for the air passage to the crankcase - but what about the hole into the UIM from the crankcase through the PCV valve? Leave it and let the high UIM pressure keep it shut?
                              Yes, aslong as you plug the TB , and run a valve cover breather it works great. I plug the pcv hole on the back side of the TB, just use a small hex nut screw and tap it in. I do nothing to the pcv valve or uim.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                7 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X