1998 Firebird 3800 Misfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Firebird 3800 Misfires

Hey there. A few days ago it stalled while backing up. I turned the key for about 6 or 7 seconds and it wouldn’t start. So I waited about 2 minutes, then it started. But it was running sluggish and smelt a bit like eggs. So I brought it home. It was giving code 300 “multiple misfires.” I plugged in a computer and found out it was cylinders 3 and 6. They are on the same coil, so I replaced it, actually all of them with new coils. The same cylinders are still misfiring. Any ideas?

Did you pull the plugs for those cylinders? What do they look like? It could be that those plugs are completely fouled on those cylinders. What is the condition of the wires?

The smell of eggs also usually points towards a bad cat- if you crawl under the car and bang on the cat do you hear stuff rattling around in it?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I haven’t checked the plugs, waiting for the rain to subside. I guess you are saying the bad coil caused the plugs to foul. Thus, replacing the coil only fixed the original problem. Now I have to fix what the bad coil messed up. I sure hope it is just the plugs. Easy fix. I already bought new wires and plugs already just in case. Thanks.

Comment

Essentially yes- if the coil wasn’t firing then neither were the plugs- it could be as simple as the plugs need to be cleaned up. Take a picture of the plugs and post it, let’s see what we can tell from them.

was the car running perfectly fine before this issue?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Dirty injectors and fpr can also be the culprit. But the primary ones are plugs and wires.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X