No announcement yet.

Fuel System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes sense. I have not replaced the regulator yet but it's worth a shot to see if that's the problem before changing the pump. I tested it again this afternoon after sitting all night and the results were exactly the same as yesterday. 40psi the entire time, no matter what the state of the engine. So I'll change up the regulator and go from there!

thanks guys, I seriously appreciate the help.

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro.
    SLP CAI, Dynomax, PCM tune, SS Hood, Clear Corners, T-Tops, Sony Xplod

TEAM RED

Comment

Don't just change the regulator- pull the vacuum line off as they describe in the video and look for fuel. If it doesn't leak fuel and is good, no sense in wasting money to replace it. Better off putting that money towards another mod on the car

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Right, ha ha I'll check it first! I have the stuff to give the coil packs, plugs and wires a refresh, so while I'm in there doing all that, I might just change it out anyway to save from having to do it again down the road without everything out. That thing is 20 years old, I'm sure its wearing out...just like my fuel pump too!

TEAM RED

Comment

You guys know if anyone has ever installed a permanent fuel pressure gauge to our schrader valve under the hood? Saw one like this: http://www.mtiracing.com/media/catal...45e0539bd1.jpg for the LS1's but that one clearly has a lot of room, where ours does not. Just curious. Figured since I'm going to be needing a gauge a lot while I figure out this issue, might not hurt to install something to always be keeping an eye on it.

TEAM RED

Comment

I'd say if you're going to get one, get one that displays in the cab off of a gauge, not in the engine bay like that. That only lets you see idle and if you rev it up in park- won't let you see anything while driving or at WOT.

also the regulator is easy to access on the fuel rail so no point in freshening it up now if it is working. Test it, and try to eliminate it from the problem. If it goes down the road it is a 15 minute job

Comment

Good point. It wasn't something I had or needed to have, just curious. I'll give the FPR a test tonight and see what that tells me.

TEAM RED

Comment

I had a Autometer fuel pressure gauge comes with the sender and gauge so you dont have gas in the cab. Worked good. Thats the only way to do it in my opinion.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Alright, took the vacuum line off the FPR and not a single trace of fuel could be found over several minutes so I think we're good there. Looks like 1 of 2 things is happening. Either the fuel pump is slowly going and I'm stuck with intermittent usage OR the fuel filter was clogged and after it was replaced it's back up and running. But that filter was really new.

I'm leaning towards the pump might be on its last leg. I'll give it credit, it fires up right away both over the weekend and tonight but it still just hangs around 40-41psi for pressure, even at high RPM. I'm going to install the cab mounted pressure gauge so I can take it out for a short drive and see how it does under load next.

TEAM RED

Comment

You can get electronic ones that you have a sensor on the shrader and then hooked up to a gauge inside.

But don't worry about that for now - prop it up and tape it to your windshield and go for a drive so you can see it. It should be 48-52 psi key on engine off and while driving if it isn't the pump is bad assuming you just said you have ruled out the FPR.

Comment

Sweet, that's where I'll go next! We're getting there

TEAM RED

Comment

youre more patient than me, id have just said screw it, cut the panel and replaced the pump first and went from there. for shits and giggles sake... have you checked the pump harness plug where it connects on the body? its drivers side, you'll see 2 plugs in front of the rear tire. should be the left plug. pull it and make sure theres no crap in there causing a bad connection. if its dirty hit it with a wire brush to clean the connections and plug it in. had it happen to me

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                        Or this

Comment

I did not check there! I will make sure to check it out next time I'm under there. I did change out the fuel filter that the SOB fired up and has been running ever since, although I haven't been driving it around either. So the fuel filter must have been clogged, which is odd since it was less than 6 months old at the time it went out. My mechanic said that it is possible that the fuel filter is coming apart and could be clogging the filter. So I think either way the pump is going to be changed out this winter. Just to be safe. Dont want to get to the track and have it crap out on me again.

TEAM RED

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to get another phone
                            by ssms5411
                            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                            1 week ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Leaking front cover
                            by ssms5411
                            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • transamtom1
                            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                            by transamtom1
                            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X