Fuel System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System

Over the weekend, right before I left for a race of course, my Camaro decided it no longer wanted to start. It started up perfectly fine just an hour or so before but I could no long hear the fuel pump kicking on when I turn the key to "on", so my guess is it's dead since everything else seems to be working fine. So, since I have to now replace the pump, I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on any other fuel system upgrades I could/should do. Currently my engine is stock with the exception of an intake and it's a 97. I do plan to have new heads and a cam installed in the next couple of years but currently my transmission rebuild and the fuel pump is using up all available funds for this winter. Some of the things I had thought about were changing out fuel injectors and the fuel pressure regulator.

Good idea, bad idea? What do y'all think and if he have some tips on brands/sizes please feel free to share. I'm all ears ... or eyes, which ever. Thanks!

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro.
    SLP CAI, Dynomax, PCM tune, SS Hood, Clear Corners, T-Tops, Sony Xplod

TEAM RED

Are you sure the fuel pump is toast and it isn't a relay?

If you are doing a pump, I would do the racetronix fuel pump with a hotwire to the alternator if you plan on upgrading the car in the future. The pump is cheaper, and is much better suited for higher hp applications and will more than supply your need moving forward.

skip doing the injectors until you have some mods and can tune for them - it will run like crap with bigger injectors and will be much harder to tune without that extra airflow coming in and the need for them.

This is the racetronix fuel pump here: http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/fuel...pump-assembly/

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The one Mike suggested is probably the best, Ive used the Walbro 255 for 15 years now with no problems. I ditched the bucket though and used hose clamps.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Pretty sure it's the pump, I checked out the relay and it seemed to be ok. Maybe I'll start there though before dropping everything out. How can I tell if that's what's bad?

that's the exact pump I had bookmarked so I'm glad I was on the right track. What is the purpose of hot wiring it versus just using the stock wiring harness?

Along the injector lines, I was thinking of just replacing them with stock or close to stock just to freshen things up. But I guess that's probably a waste if they're working fine and I run a fuel system cleaner though it every spring. She doesn't see that many miles outside of the strip so once a year is enough.

TEAM RED

Comment

Another question for you guys. I see the racetronix pump is just that, the pump and some wiring. When I look at the AC Delco pump it has all of the wiring plus a bunch of the tubing and crap that goes on top of the tank. Is the racetronix pump able to slide right into the existing hardware of the original set up or is modification required to get it hooked up? Just want to make sure I'm looking at this from the right frame of mind and don't need to be prepared for changes.

Thanks!

TEAM RED

Comment

I am not sure how you would test the pump - there is a way but I am not electronically inclined.
            No point in replacing the injector lines unless they are leaking. You'll gain nothing from it at all.

The Racetronix kit will come with all the connectors and everything you need to hook up. You'll modify your pump bucket as per their instructions (it's been a number of years since I installed the one in my 6, but I just did my LS a few weeks ago... it isn't difficult just take your time

It is best to hotwire it with their kit- the pump is supplied more voltage and directly from the alternator this way - this eliminates any voltage drops that could impact fueling.

Comment

Cool thank you! So here's a new curveball in this saga. On my way home tonight I stopped off at the local Chevy dealership and got a new relay from a buddy of mine who works the parts counter. Brought it home, installed it and boom the car fired right up and ran for about 3-4 minutes then I shut it off. It smelled like it was running very rich. I let it sit for a few minutes and then went to start it back up and nothing. Just a dry crank. Does that still sound like the pump or am I suddenly blowing relays for some reason?

TEAM RED

Comment

fuel pumps are intermittent at times when they go bad... they can go bad all at once or they can give you hit or miss issues.

Before changing the pump I would make a trip down to your local autoparts store and rent a fuel pressure gauge. Hook it up to your schrader valve on your fuel lines by the injectors...it should have a cap that unscrews and looks like a bicycle valve for putting air in the tires. Select the correct fitting and put the gauge where you can see it. Get in the car and turn the car to key on but engine off and record the reading. Then start the car and record the reading, then rev the car up and record the reading if you aren't starving for fuel.

I have to look in the haines manual to see what correct fuel pressure is for the v6 as it has been awhile. If the fuel pressure is bad you either have a bad fuel filter (cheap fix) or a bad fuel pump or both

The test takes 5-10 minutes and is super easy and they rent the tools out for free to do it - go do it and report back

Comment

Awesome, I will stop on my way home today and rent one. Hopefully that will help us get pointed in the right direction. I just changed the fuel filter this spring with a new K&N filter, so I would certainly hope that isn't bad already but I'll snag a new one to swap out just in case. Might as well start with the cheap/easy fixes first. I really appreciate the help!

TEAM RED

Comment

Fuel pressure should be 42-44psi at idle and 50psi at WOT. With the Walbro 255 I was getting 55 WOT and 45-46 at idle, got rid of my Autometer fuel pressure gauge along tine ago.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 08-24-2017, 04:13 PM.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks! I didn't make it over to pick up a gauge last night but I will today and test it out on Saturday. I'll let you know what I find.

TEAM RED

Comment

If you want to test the pump apply 12v to the gray wire that goes to the fuel pump relay. I don't remember what pin on the relay it is tough. The pump will run until the 12v source is removed

Comment

Well the mystery continues. Today I swapped out the K&N fuel filter for an AC Delco one before running the fuel pressure test. Turned on the key and had 40 psi. Started the engine, still 40psi. Revved it up a little and still 40psi. No matter what I did it never changed. Let it run for a while, then let it sit and it continued to fire up the rest of the day. I'll give it another test tomorrow to see but seems like changing the less than 1 year old filter helped the cause. Any thoughts?

TEAM RED

Comment

Try letting the car sit over night and hooking the gauge up first thing in the morning. Turn the car to key on engine off very first and record the results.

With my pump on the Jeep I found that it was lazy first thing in the morning but the rest of the day could be hit or miss when you put the gauge on...sometimes the readings were great after a drive or a few hours later...but first thing in the morning after the pump has sat all night it was lazy. Replaced it and I was good.

http://engine.firebirdv6.com/

it should should 48-52psi key on engine off.

Have you checked your Fuel Pressure Regulator as well? Those are known to cause hard starts

Here is a video on how to easily check the diaphragm for a tear causing a hard start...leave it off for awhile and watch as he does. You can skip up to 1:41 and go from there.

Comment

I almost wonder because you are steady pressure if the Fuel Pressure Regulator is bad - check that and if it is bad, replace that first. then recheck fuel pressure and recheck it again first thing in the morning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X