Water in engine, how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in engine, how?

So everytime it rains when my camaro isn't covered i get water in my oil. I installed a new cowl and everything. Nothing stops it and I know its the rain water because my coolant is fine and this is a lot of water. I put duck tape over my valve cover breather to make sure it wasn't coming through there, I left a little opening on the breather so it can vent. I'm stumped, been doing this for about a year now, there has to be a reason it does this. I can keep it covered but what if I get caught in the rain while driving, I'd be screwed. Anyone with any advice would be helpful, thanks.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Re: Water in engine, how?

Wow, you honestly have me stumped with this one. If I think of anything ill let you know, lol.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

I've been stumped for the past year.yeah if you think of anything that would be great. Thanks.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You have to look at all the entry points of the crankcase. So lets make a list and go through each one. Valve covers, breather grommet, PCV valve grommet, intake manifold,oil dipstick tube, any sensors mounted to engine block, turbo oil return line, any engine block plugs, distributor block off plate, and timing cover. To help find the leak you can pressurize the crankcase with some low,regulated air pressure. Pick a place to connect the air line and plug as many openings as you can. Duct tape will work on most places.Use a mechanics stethoscope and listen for leaks. Happy hunting!

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking of but didn't want to hear.lol the head gaskets need redone so I guess I'll do those first, that way I can take off the list valve covers and intakes. Have you ever heard of something like this? I haven't, so that's why it confused me on how it was getting in. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            Yeah that's what I was thinking of but didn't want to hear.lol the head gaskets need redone so I guess I'll do those first, that way I can take off the list valve covers and intakes. Have you ever heard of something like this? I haven't, so that's why it confused me on how it was getting in. Thanks for the response.
            I've never heard of it but nothing surprises me when it comes to cars anymore.
            Does water get in your engine compartment form your hood scoop?

Comment

It can I suppose if the rain is heavy enough but there's nothing in front where water can get in. I just don't see how it would come into the engine. I had it stored in the garage for 4 years, no problems. Soon as I move to no garage I get water leaking into the engine. Who knows at this point ,I'm just going to keep it covered and get the head gaskets replaced and go on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                It can I suppose if the rain is heavy enough but there's nothing in front where water can get in. I just don't see how it would come into the engine. I had it stored in the garage for 4 years, no problems. Soon as I move to no garage I get water leaking into the engine. Who knows at this point ,I'm just going to keep it covered and get the head gaskets replaced and go on from there.
                I have that same hood on my car, I believe the seal at the rear of the hood doesn't work too well. You still have a problem though that should be repaired.

Comment

That is bizarre. I once heard that the windshield cowl could have something to do with this.

You have a ram air hood and a breather that can do it.

Comment

Don't really have ram air ,just the scoop and the breather has duck tape around it with a little opening on it, I have a vacuum leak somewhere and that's how it's getting in probably valve cover. New cowl didn't fix anything . I'm stumped will just get the head gaskets redone and go from there. If it still leaks after the head gaskets are done I'll be screwed.lol

Comment

I was just thinking, my headers on the drivers side is off because of the head studs, you think water could get into the header port and go into the engine? Only opening I found so far there's a 1/2" at least from the head to the header. Damm head studs are in the way to install the headers correctly, that's why I need the head gaskets redone to get the head studs out and install head bolts. It's the only thing I see at the moment.

Comment

So i got my head gaskets done and took the valve cover breather off and put the stock oil cap back on, and it still leaks water into the oil when it rains or if i wash the car, so all i can do is keep it covered when it rains.

Comment

Are you missing the cowl gasket?
                          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I wonder if you could do a smoke test to see where you may have a vacuum leak that could be sucking in water? But with the hood closed leaking or not, most of the engine is covered.

Are you sure the valve cover gaskets are on and installed good with the gasket not pinched? What about your injectors? all O-rings are on and they are seated proper? Is your breather sealed with how it sits on the valve cover?

Do you have a full picture of your engine bay? a couple of full shots so I can see what you have setup? Are you running a catch can?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Installed a new cowl from a 2002 camaro, no catch can, went back to the stock pcv, only thing i can think would be the injectors , but the orings are good. My vac gsuge doesn't show its losing vacuum either. So im at a loss. Will take some pics tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                12 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X