HELP - 3.8 bearly runs after fuel pump and I can't figure it out - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - 3.8 bearly runs after fuel pump and I can't figure it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - 3.8 bearly runs after fuel pump and I can't figure it out

I have a 98 Firebird 3.8, 5 speed 105,000 miles as a DD. The fuel pump failed but pumped enough to let me drive about 15 mph for a few miles before it died totally.
    I put a new pump in it and it starts right up now but does pretty much the same thing. It won't run past 1500 RPM and if you go to wide open throttle it will slowly bog out and die.
    What I have done and know:
    No codes
    42 psi of fuel pressure and it holds it for 5+ minutes after shut off.
    Fuel pressure regulator was new 5,000 miles ago
    Tried a new ignition module no change
    Replaced the fuel filter but it was fine.
    Pulled 5 of the 6 plugs after revving till it dies and they are not wet with fuel and no sign of anti freeze

Plugs and wires were new 2 years ago at 80,000 miles
    Timing does advance from 10 to 30 when I tach it up.
    Compression in #1 is 145 and I can't really get to the rest of them.
    It runs a lot better with the oil filler cap off so I'm concerned there might be some mechanical damage in it?
    I picked up a spark tester and will check for good spark tonight but I am stumped on what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: HELP - 3.8 bearly runs after fuel pump and I can't figure it out

I'd scan for pending codes.

Comment

No codes of any kind but it will set a code when I unplug the MAF or MAP sensors. Check this out maybe it will help.
      https://youtu.be/Qo_MLfpOqWE

Comment

I have a feeling this may have something more to do with your computer than anything.

Comment

Well the cat guys win the prize! It was welded on but had to cut the pipe to find out and sure enough it tached right up and had all the power it had before. Why driving 15 miles with low fuel pressure killed the cat is beyond me but sure glad it's running again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Comment

That's cool you solved your own problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              2 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X