Keep stripping headight motor gears. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep stripping headight motor gears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keep stripping headight motor gears.

I decided to post this to explain I found the remedy to this problem.

I found that the spindle and the gear have alot of loose play in the new Cardone Select motors... The gear can literally slide side to side inside the housing and when it does, it will ride on the less-durable edge of the gear when spinning on the actuator... There is a washer inside each housing closest to the "Arm" - This washer is too thin to act as a buffer thus giving the spindle and gear alot of loose play. To solve this problem, an $0.08 thicker same diameter washer can be used to keep the gear from sliding too far out from the actuator and keeping it in place.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Recently joined the forum and getting so much knowledge. I am liking the forum. pokiesslotmachines.com.au

Comment

Just to reinforce this post, I hadn't had any additional problems with the headlight motors since the addition of the slightly thicker washer.

Although I sold the car in January, they worked fine till that point.
        1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

The ones on my 2001 Pontiac Firebird were disconnected when I purchased it and they are still the same. The lights are in the up position at present and remain that way until I can determine what is needed for repair. My question is this- what tool would I need to crank them down manually if I choose to do so. I mainly drive it during the day hours and would like to see it with the lights down. It is probably some socket needed but I have no idea what is needed.
          If I connect the wires and the motors run, then maybe I just need new gears as discussed here. Is that probably a correct assumption?

Comment

Originally posted by KJUN MAN View Post
            My question is this- what tool would I need to crank them down manually if I choose to do so. I mainly drive it during the day hours and would like to see it with the lights down. It is probably some socket needed but I have no idea what is needed.
            If I connect the wires and the motors run, then maybe I just need new gears as discussed here. Is that probably a correct assumption?
            Next to your headlight there's a hole. Look inside and you'll see a black rubber nipple. Pull that and your see a knob and the motor that will turn the headlights down.

You can use an 8 point 1/4" alley wrench to help you turn that knob.

There's really nothing to it when it comes to changing the motor. Just follow this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1i4cb2PpVQ

You can get the gear from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-2002-Fi...172b00&vxp=mtr

Comment

Replaced gear. Works fine but when the door closes the motor keeps running. What's the cause of this? Thanks. 97 Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                3 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X