Keep stripping headight motor gears. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep stripping headight motor gears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keep stripping headight motor gears.

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
    Do these gears require any lithium grease or moly lube to enhance gear meshing?

Sounds like an ingredient missing to me.

Former '91 Firebird owner ;)
    The motors changed after 92. I've rebuilt both 3rd gen and 4th gen motors. Totaly different design. FYI. :wavey:
    -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/

Go to the middle page and read Common headlight motor problems. This may help you find the answer.

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow myself because the housing on my DS kept coming loose and this time it did grind up my brass gear. I'm tired of gluing it. I'm just going to repair this one again, but at the same time I'm going to have some back ups. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
        http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/

Go to the middle page and read Common headlight motor problems. This may help you find the answer.

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow myself because the housing on my DS kept coming loose and this time it did grind up my brass gear. I'm tired of gluing it. I'm just going to repair this one again, but at the same time I'm going to have some back ups. Good luck.
        That repair does not have the extra bracket that is included in the "rodney" kit I linked above. That is why I chose it over franker's kit. Gluing alone is just not suffcient.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          That repair does not have the extra bracket that is included in the "rodney" kit I linked above. That is why I chose it over franker's kit. Gluing alone is just not suffcient.
          yeah, I've tried that kit on my passenger side motor and had nothing but problems. The motor would not want to activate upon turning the headlights on and I believe its because the brace put so much tension on the case that the motor thought it was at a stop position due to the pressure... I had to replace the whole motor with a new one and ditched the kit. The NEW motors do NOT need glue, they fixxed the design and they now have screws you can unscrew to open the gear housing and replace the gear, which is another reason I opted for the new motor...
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
            Gluing alone is just not suffcient.
            You're right. That's why the housing on mine keeps popping and grinding.

The problem with our headlight motors is that it keeps torquing away even when the tab reached the stopper. In time it doesn't matter if it's vinyl or brass gear they will break. This was a bad design from GM.
            Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

sounds like its too tight

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS View Post
                sounds like its too tight
                Whats too tight? the housing which holds the gear or the assembly that holds the motor in place?

Comment

I went and replaced the motor under warranty - Im hoping this is going to work

Comment

Ok you're not going to believe this, it appears now that my PASSENGER SIDE headlight motor has stripped its gear...I have TWO BRAND NEW HEADLIGHT MOTORS...NON REMAN... BRAND NEW METAL GEARS...PROPERLY INSTALLED...Stripped headlight motors! within 2 months of installation. I dont understand whats going on...

Comment

I found out what the problem was. SOMEHOW The Gears came loose from the arm which the gear spins and got crooked inside the housing causing them to strip as only a the edges were meshing with the motor and the stress over the small area caused them to shred. Replaced one of the gears, reused a plastic one for the passenger side and will be replacing that one later... but they work fine now.

Comment

Mine was the motor housing being loose. It shredded my brass gear and then the vinyl/plastic gear.

I went ahead and shell out 122$ for a Cardone headlight motor, which has a lifetime warranty.

Comment

Well, my nylon gear shredded within 2 weeks of installation. I took it out and put in another spare and this one only lasted TWO DAYS before shredding. They're all shredding in the exact same place... the inner most corner of the gear and not the direct center of the gear. Whats causing this? Why is this happening?

Also what is this motor housing you're talking about and how do I tighten it?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                            Well, my nylon gear shredded within 2 weeks of installation. I took it out and put in another spare and this one only lasted TWO DAYS before shredding. They're all shredding in the exact same place... the inner most corner of the gear and not the direct center of the gear. Whats causing this? Why is this happening?

Also what is this motor housing you're talking about and how do I tighten it?
                            Were they new? I just bought new ones so I can get the lifetime warranty.

The loose housing there's really nothng you can do to tighten it. I've learned that brass gear tends to ruin the motor housing in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                              Were they new? I just bought new ones so I can get the lifetime warranty.

The loose housing there's really nothng you can do to tighten it. I've learned that brass gear tends to ruin the motor housing in the long run.
                              The headlight motor itself is no more than 3 months old. Yes the gears were all brand new nylon gears. Im guessing I have to replace the motor again eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                                The headlight motor itself is no more than 3 months old. Yes the gears were all brand new nylon gears. Im guessing I have to replace the motor again eh?
                                If you have the lifetime warranty then just get a new one.

I think only cardone is making them. Not my favorite, but no choice. Plus it is lifetime warranty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X