Thinking about Seafoaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about Seafoaming.

Im thinking about seafaming my 99 Maro, Ive been reading and did a search here and still have some quesions.

Will my cat get clogged? I just replaced the stock cat with a Magnaflow cat in July.
    Will it harm anything if I use it in the oil? Ive read things that say DO NOT use it in the oil.

Some info on the car, I got her in May of this year, she just turned 130k, Ive used Valvoline Full Synthetic since the first oil change, oil gets changed every 3k miles (Sometimes go over 2 or 3 hundred miles but every 3k nonetheless). I run 87 gas in her.

The only thing that worries me (besides people saying not to use it in the oil) is how the pervious owner drove/ maintained her, car is in good shape so it seems like she was taken care of but you never know. Anyway just looking for tips/ advice. Thanks guys!
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Re: Thinking about Seafoaming.

I've ran it in the oil, haven't had any issues. As for a cat, I don't have one so no help there.

Comment

How many miles on your ride when you put it in the oil? Just curious.
      3M MAFIA
      ________
      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
      sigpic

Comment

I did this on my SUV with a 125k on it and it did damage my cat. It was like someone took a pick and started chipping away at it. Half of my honeycomb was gone and the rest were smashed. I ended up spending a lot of money just to replace my Calif. OBDII cat.

I did however used this on my Fiero back in 2006 before I sold it and it worked great. I even pass smog without changing the cat. Not only that the idling got even better and I felt like I freed up some hp too.

Before seafoam my Fiero couldn't pass smog. In Calif the car has to pass smog test before it can be sold.

Comment

Like 124k..

Comment

didnt hurt my hi flo

Comment

Seafoam is great in my opinion.

1 can in the crankcase right before every oil change and run a few minutes to wash away any internal varnish and deposits and flush it down.

1 can in the fuel tank once a month.

1 can in the intake. ( there's a process to that but I'm short on time to discuss that procedure)

At 341,000 miles on the odometer, I can't complain about Seafoam.
              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

I've ran in oil, gas, and IV dripped into the brake booster.

Comment

http://www.myls1.com/maintenance-repairs/1566.htm

Comment

I'm not sure I'd use it in the oil at 130k...but would have no problems doing the intake and putting some in the gas.

Had you been doing seafoam frequently since the beginning of the cars life, or even every 20,000 miles or so I wouldn't blink at putting it in the crankcase...but at 130k you might have some parts that have worn around some buildup and could cause leaks if you get rid of said buildup. At least thats what I've heard....Oh and I put it in my crankcase @ 65k and didn't mess anything up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X