!!!Car just Dies!!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!Car just Dies!!!??

So I wrecked my 2000 camaro 3800 a4 about 4 years ago..and just let it sit...very minimal damage...but I decided to throw it back together. So it needed a fuel pump..I put a 255lph in it. I cranks up and now has a rough idle.. OBDII says misfire on cyl 3..easy enough fix but I havent yet.. the strange thing is.. the car drives fine around in my yard and driveway.. But as soon as i get out on the road the car dies and the oil pressure gauge goes to zero.. I can immediately start the car if i give it gas and then the gauge goes right back to normal..also im pretty sure the thermo is stuck open.takes a while for the water temp gauge to do anything...any thoughts?
    Also there is no engine noise related to an oil issue..So im pretty sure it has to be electrical :rant:

Re: !!!Car just Dies!!!??

Misfire could be injector cutting off and causing the car to die.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

one injector cutting would cause it to die?

Comment

You did change the oil before you tried to run it after sitting for so long right?

Check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, don't trust the one in your dash to be completely accurate. Check your plugs and wires obviously.. Check your coil packs and ICM for corrosion too.. And your fuel pressure. Your FPR maybe bad, those things have a rubber diaphragm in them that go bad easily enough under normal conditions. Possibly the IAC causing the rough idle too. You should be able to check most of those in like 15 minutes.
        Hrmm.. I was just talking about how letting a car sit is harder on it than driving it every day.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

the sensors should come up on an OBDII scan

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
            You did change the oil before you tried to run it after sitting for so long right?
            No..just initial start to see if pump worked..then changed right after..oil looked good..no metal or coolant in it

Comment

Originally posted by Rustynweathered View Post
              one injector cutting would cause it to die?
              Yes 1 injector will make it die if the injector is clogged or not firing, happen to me years ago.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Rustynweathered View Post
                the sensors should come up on an OBDII scan
                Says autozone.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Says autozone.
                  I have my own..but it is a scantron

Comment

Are you gonna question every suggestion we make?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Are you gonna question every suggestion we make?
                      haha my bad...Just to throw it out there im not a noob by any sense...forgot my SN on here from forever ago so I started a new one.. but it seems like if the sensor is failing enough to cause a shut down..it would show up on a scan..and I doubt its something mechanical because there is no stumble or hiccup..just dies..

Comment

Could be multiple things on their way out. It's hard to tell. Check your basics like I mentioned earlier.. Fuel pressure, spark, blah blah blah..

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X