X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine...But

Because of using Bar's Radiator Leak product the cooling system got
    clogged, and the car threw a rod.
    Brought it to small car repair shop. They bought an engine that came out of a 2002 Camaro with 53000 miles. Took two full days to make the change...I am getting much lower oil pressure with this engine and it
    does not have the acceleration than my 2000 3.8 with 120K miles.
    It cost me $1600 for the engine 400 dollars for the install plus $300+ in tax and some other costs. I had no choice....I once had an engine rebuilt and the car was worse after the overhaul....so I did not want to choose
    an overhaul.....Any thoughts?
    It says on the engine 3800 Series II.

Re: New Engine...But

What pressure are you running? Do you know if a compression test was done on the new engine? Did you have any mods on the old one? Dyno test?
    Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

It's probably worn out. 120K miles is getting up there, the tolerances are even greater than a fresh built engine. Piston rings will wear down so you'll have lower compression, valve seals will not be as tight and the main, rod, and cam bearings will not be as tight. This will cause oil pressure to be lower, along with maybe a weak oil pump or blocked oil pickup from sludge.

Did they even open the valve covers or pull the oil pan? Cause if it looked like my pictures from the teardown (see below), it will be sluggish for sure. I only managed just over 160whp on the engine with lid and full exhaust before the tear down.

Were you able to keep the old engine? You could have had it properly rebuilt, not modded, for around 2 grand.

Comment

my old engine had 120 thousand miles. this one is 53 thousand.

Comment

my engine has like 30k miles on it, and **** looks like it was put together yesterday if u take off the valve cover. must be the mobile 1

Comment

I have a 2000 Camaro. Since I bought it I have only used Mobil One because I believed the ads...when the engine was take out at 120K miles, it will filled with
            carbon, and plenty of crap on the value stems etc. Mobil One did NOTHING for
            my engine. NOt a damn thing....it also did not prevent me from blowing a rod.
            We are all big suckers for slick advertising.......That is why they do it.
            Some of you remember when Mazda introduced the Rotary Engine....all the big car
            mags said it was the next big thing....remember?????? I had one of those after
            my Fiat 124 sport started burning oil at 30K and after an unsucessful rebuild.
            Anyway that Rotary Engine at 55MPH on a trip from Florida to CA provided me
            with 15mpg highway mileage. Yes, I did calculate it.
            See many Rotary engines today????????????????
            Last edited by PalmHarbor; 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

lol i see.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
                I have a 2000 Camaro. Since I bought it I have only used Mobil One because I believed the ads...when the engine was take out at 120K miles, it will filled with
                carbon, and plenty of crap on the value stems etc. Mobil One did NOTHING for
                my engine. NOt a damn thing....it also did not prevent me from blowing a rod.
                We are all big suckers for slick advertising.......That is why they do it.
                Some of you remember when Mazda introduced the Rotary Engine....all the big car
                mags said it was the next big thing....remember?????? I had one of those after
                my Fiat 124 sport started burning oil at 30K and after an unsucessful rebuild.
                Anyway that Rotary Engine at 55MPH on a trip from Florida to CA provided me
                with 15mpg highway mileage. Yes, I did calculate it.
                See many Rotary engines today????????????????
                yeah there are lots of FC, FD rx7's & Rx8's driving around.
                Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

you could fit them all in the McDonalds parking
                  lot

Comment

I would take the car back to the shop and tell them it's not running right and that they need to fix it. Mention the oil pressure (they need to hook up a mechanical gage, don't rely on the dash gage) and that it has very poor acceleration. They should have checked the engine before installing it. It may just be some minor issue. But with junkyard engines you never know.

They should be running a full range of tests - Fuel Pressure, oil pressure, exhaust backpressure, vacuum... everything, to make sure everything is within spec.

As for the Mobil 1, I've had very good luck with it. However, I have always bought my cars new and have maintained them well. My 02 Bird has 130K on it and it runs perfect. No noises, no leaks. Same with my wife's van at 120K. My 87 Cavalier went 293K before I traded it in. At 250K I changed the headgasket and the engine was pristine inside, I couldn't believe it. It literally looked like it was fresh from the factory.

I use Mobile 1 in all vehicles.... and even my lawnmower.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I am going back Monday morning. They underestimated the time it would take
                      and I did not get out of there Saturday until 7PM. When the Camaro was new
                      in Jan 2000 I changed to Mobil 1 but my eyes saw it. I may post pictures on this site this week.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X