Carseats in a Firebird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carseats in a Firebird?

So, my son has reached 2.5 and is finally ready to start riding around town in the vert. Anyone have recommendations for a good carseat that fits our bucket seats without blowing the bank?

Also, how snugly do they install? With the vert we don't have either the bottom or top latches so I'm looking at just the back seatbelts. Any advice?

sigpic

Re: Carseats in a Firebird?

When my kids were little I didn't have much of an issue finding seats that would fit. I still have my 12 y/o in a booster seat back there because the buckets are so low that the seatbelt goes across his stomach rather than his hips. He gets so embarrassed LOL.

Anyway, if necessary, put a towel or other padding on the seat to stabilize the carseat. I never used the latches on mine. I just cinched down the seatbelts really tight and those carseats were not going anywhere.

When installing the seats, use that metal clip that comes with the carseat, and get the seatbelt so it's a several inches short of being able to fit. Then kneel on the seat and/or have someone push you down to jam the carseat down tight. I have the T-Tops so I was able to press my back against the ceiling to really jam it in there. I was able to get my carseats super-tight. With a convertible it may be a little tougher, but it can be done. You'll just need more weight on the carseat.

Be careful if the carseat has any edges though, so you don't risk tearing the leather if you have it.

With my son's booster seat, I cut three pieces from a swim noodle and have those under the booster, to stabilize the sides and back of the booster. otherwise one side of the booster always seemed to be falling into the bucket seat. It works great.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
      Hello everyone!
      by Andy H
      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
      3 weeks ago
    • 3.4 slow to go
      hey there strangers!
      by 3.4 slow to go
      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X