New lower degree tstat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lower degree tstat

Quick question. What is the optimal running temperature for our engines to run? The only reason I ask is according to the gauge in the cluster it is running at 210 degrees give or take. I was goinf to drop a 160 or 180 in there as I did with my GTP. But that's because I was increasing boost.

Any input?

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Re: New lower degree tstat

its useless unless you tune the cpu for it...160* makes a nice difference, the car doesnt feel as heatsoaked..couple that with an EWP and your laughing...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

What is an EWP? Sorry if it is a novice question...

Comment

Either way 160 or 180 your temp will still go to 210*. Just expect a slight drop on your gas mileage with 160. Hypertech did say that you can gain 1 or 2 hp with 160*. I have it in mine because of my SC.

Comment

Yeah I had a supercharged 3.8 v6 previously that I put a 160 on. That's why I'm curious about whether or not it is necessary for this n/a car.

Comment

I run the stocker in my car, but maybe the 185 would help a bit, what could it hurt? How much does the damn thing cost anyways?
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by mousemonster1232 View Post
              Quick question. What is the optimal running temperature for our engines to run? The only reason I ask is according to the gauge in the cluster it is running at 210 degrees give or take. I was goinf to drop a 160 or 180 in there as I did with my GTP. But that's because I was increasing boost.

Any input?
              180 degree w/ a manual fan switch. Or reset the fans to come on lower than 210 using HP Tuners.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

2.8 bird, are you measuring the temp with anything or just going by the gauge?
                Flamingchicken, they're 10 dollars from zzp or intense.

Comment

There worth it if you live in a high heat state, but unless tuning or a switch it will shoot for 210 temp.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What is an EWP? Sorry if it is a novice question...

electric waterpump

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Yeah I live in Arizona. So I would say high heat. Ha. Perhaps drop a 180 in there and call it good?

Comment

Yeah I live in Arizona. So I would say high heat. Ha. Perhaps drop a 180 in there and call it good?
                        NO - t-stat temp is only the opening temp - does nothing to limit coolant temp. Need to turn the fans on at a lower temperature setting than factory setting.
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Okay so switch as well as the 180 tstat?

Comment

^yes or tune. Either way you want fans kicking on earlier. Just get a 180 you'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                              2.8 bird, are you measuring the temp with anything or just going by the gauge?
                              Just the gauge.

I live in a desert myself where it gets to be 108-112* during the summer so 160* is good for my car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X