Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issues

So I've been noticing some random electrical issues and they're progressively getting worse. I shall attempt to describe my symptoms before I start current testing every circuit.

I've noticed my headlights are always dim. When running the dash volatge indicator usually barely reads out of the red. When I have the clutch in at stops the voltage drops to the point where the turn signals get really slow. I sometimes rev the engine a little to keep voltage up enough to keep the light flashing.

Randomly - especially if driving while it is wet out, the dash seems to cut out - all gauges either jump or drop but then come back to life. I've noticed changes in the electrical load like turning on the lights, defroster or applying the brakes (and thus brake lights) can trigger such behavior.

I am looking for 2 things, 1 a list of major ground connections so I can go over those and make sure everything is making good contact and 2 if any of these symptoms point to certian circuits that I can pinpoint my troubleshooting. I'm not very knowledgeable as to how these cars are wired but I've got something funky going on and I know it can be tough to track down issues like these so i'm open to any constructive suggestions people may have.

I know I still need to to some very basic troubleshooting like reading voltages at different points during different conditions but I was looking for any advice of things to look for before I get to that point.

Thanks
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Electrical Issues

Check grounds and charge wire from alt to battery, it sounds similar to when I messed up my big 3

Comment

Alternator seems to be popping into my head as I read your description there. I would pull that out and take it to Autozone and have it tested. That might be the culprit.

Comment

When mine was acting funny, the positive battery cable was loose. Tightened it up and the problems went away. Mine got so bad at times it would almost stall out and mainly only when I put it in reverse. As I was checking the alt, I found the cable real loose. Just something to look at before you buy stuff....

Comment

Yeah good point, be sure to check all cables for tightness and corrosion issues before buying parts.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I was running some errands the other day and I was noticing the gagues on the dash jumping around whenever I would hit the brakes. I stopped when I got to the mall to take a look and I think I've found a big part of the issue. I checked the wires - most seemed pretty snug with minimal corrosion. Then I looked at the distribution point where the thick cable goes from the positive terminal to the passenger wheel well and splits off into 8 or so wires into the harness. The bolt holding all they terminal rings together was really rusty and I could see that it had melted through the plastic insulator it was contained in. I wrapped it in tape so it would hit the metal less on the ride home and when I got home that was melted as well. Could the corrosion cause the resistance to get high enough for it to get that hot or might I also be looking at a circuit that is grounding out and drawing too much current through that junction?
            96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

I finally had enough of the electrical issues. Today I picked up and installed a new end on the main battery cable end and put new ends on all the other wires and stacked everything through a new bolt. My electrical gauge now reads about 1/8 higher than it did before and no flickering of the dash or jumpy gauges when I turn the lights on.
              I put some sea foam in the oil when leaving the store and let the car run for 10 minutes or so once I got home then changed the oil and filter. Ran some sea foam through the intake as well. Between the new oil and good electrical connections it seems to run smoother. It seemed somewhat jumpy on acceleration before but now pulls much more consistently.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                2 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X