Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misfires, and a few codes.

Hey guys,

So my 96 v6 started misfiring the other day, so I ran it for codes and here's what I got.

P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
    P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
    P1381 Misfire Detected - No Communication with Brake Control Module
    P1651 Fan 1 Relay Control Circuit
    P1652 Powertrain Induced Chassis Pitch Output Circuit
    P1654 Cruise Control Inhibit Output Circuit

Did some searching and here's what I found may be the problem(s)

bad BCM?
    bad PCM?
    bad coil packs, wires, plugs, although I just changed everything relatively recently (plugs 3 months, wires 3 months, coil packs 3 years)
    injectors?
    egr?

Now here's what I know: I'm in need of a new o2 sensor (the one at the cat) hence is why I'm getting the P0146 code. I think I'm running rich, and can smell gasoline every once in a while. The car misses when idling, and idles rough, especially right after you start her up, and you can hear a small pinging under the hood (probably because its missing). After it warms up a little, it doesn't really miss until you give it a good amount of gas (not much just more than a "grandma acceleration"). Here's the weird part: When driving, the battery gauge likes to fluctuate very rapidly between half way and past max. Also, the abs light and low traction light likes to blink every so often, which I found is consistent with a pinging noise coming from the abs relay in the fuse box under the hood. Also, when pushing in the clutch, while driving, my speedometer needle will fall down to zero until I let the clutch go and then the needle will slowly rise back up to normal. All of this occurs most of the time, HOWEVER, sometimes it will start up, the battery gauge will be fine, the abs and traction lights won't come on, the speedometer needle won't fall, and the car doesn't miss I don't think (this doesn't happen too often). So, I don't know where to start. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Guys

Re: misfires, and a few codes.

Holy crap guys you gotta listen to this. So I'm messin around with the car, trying to figure out what in the world is causing these codes. I decide to take out the pcm and have a look at it. Bingo. One of the plugs had corroded on the inside, totally rusting off two of the little metal prongs that go into the plugs on the pcm. So, I went to the garage, brought up the 97 pcm I bought off a guy on here (it had speed limiter and was tuned for 3.42 gears, so I figured just plugging it in the car, and letting it idle without any driving because my gear ratio was 3.23, and I havent gotten around to changing the gears.) So, I pluged in the "new" pcm, connected the battery, turned the car on (it was fine), then started it. It idled actually pretty good, and I kept my eye on the ses light to see if it would pop up with it just idling there. THEN OUT OF NOWHERE MY STEERING WHEEL STARTS SMOKING. I was just like o @#$% the airbag is gonna knock me out and catch me on fire. I huried and shut the car off and jumped out of the drivers seat hoping my car doesn't start flaming. And thats where I am now. So I guess the question now is, why is my steering wheel smoking? Any help is appreciated.

Comment

where was the smoke coming from?

like from where the airbag is?

Comment

I believe so. I read online that some people have had smoke come out of the steering column where the wiring to the turn signal switch had gone bad, but I'm pretty sure this came from inside the wheel where the airbag resides. I may have to check again.

Comment

okay, so started her up again, and the smoke was coming out of the column, the turn signal box as well. I figured it was just burning off some of the grease from inside there like some other sights said it may be. I guess it is a pretty common problem for gm cars year 93-97. I just thought it was weird it was happening because of a new pcm. The smoking stopped after about a minute and the car was idling pretty decent. No ses light came on from just idling there. So, I guess I have to find a way of swapping a 98+ rearend with zexel torsen lsd with 3.42 gear ratio before I can drive it again. I'll be trying to find one this week. After I get her going again I will let you know if the codes pop back up or if it was all the old pcm. BTW, Is there a way I can tell if the new pcm is for sure tuned for 3.42 gears, or do I just have to wait and see? Theres no possible way I can drive the 3.23 gear ratio with a 3.42 tuned pcm is there?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            3 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X