Overheating AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating AC?

When the car is driven for more than 15 minutes on the expressway and the A/C is on, the temp gauge goes up to 3/4's. It would go up more, but I prefer turn-off the A/C just in case. Then, when the A/C is turned off the gauge goes to 1/2 (normal). The car have never been over 1/2 when the A/C is off no matter how fast I drive, or how long is in idle in a 0.5 mph traffic under temperatures over 100.

Radiator has enough coolant. no leaks
    Water pump just replaced a month ago
    No thermostat in spring-summer (with therm A/C does the same)
    Oil level is always normal
    Car is given basic maintenance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Re: Overheating AC?

Do you have a air dam on? Do you have front ground effects? Have you checked the front of the radiator for any debris or anything?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Do you have a air dam on? Do you have front ground effects? Have you checked the front of the radiator for any debris or anything?
      Yep. I have SLP CAI and RK Sport front ground effects. I haven't check the radiator.
      Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

Do you have a air dam on?
        Yes, and is in good condition.

Comment

Is it RK Sports extended air dam for there solid front ground effects.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

any noise coming from the AC compressor while it's running? The clutch can go bad on the compressor and cause excess resistance on the belt, and if the belt slips or drags, it can affect your water pump which can affect your temps...

With the car running, have someone turn the AC on while you watch the belt... see if there are any noises or you notice the belt struggling or slipping on any of the pulleys...
            Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
            Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
              any noise coming from the AC compressor while it's running? The clutch can go bad on the compressor and cause excess resistance on the belt, and if the belt slips or drags, it can affect your water pump which can affect your temps...

With the car running, have someone turn the AC on while you watch the belt... see if there are any noises or you notice the belt struggling or slipping on any of the pulleys...
              I haven't notice any weird noise from the compressor, or from the pulleys. Maybe I need to put closer attention. What I know is that the A/C was recharged of freeon 1 month ago, but system takes a while to cool.

Comment

Is it RK Sports extended air dam for there solid front ground effects.
                I have OEM air dam.

Comment

If you have the stock air dam and RK Sports soild front ground effects your not going to get enough air flow with the stock air dam, RK sport should of sent their extended air dam with the ground effects kit. The only time you don't need the extended air dam is with the OEM stock front ground effects becuase its not soilid , it has opening arounf the front to let air in to the air dam. I tried running a stock air dam with RK sports soilid front ground efffects and same thing ran hot on the highway when summer time came around and finally I blew the top radiator hose. So your going to have to go with the RK air dam which sits about 2" lower than stock.

Comment

If you have the stock air dam and RK Sports soild front ground effects your not going to get enough air flow with the stock air dam, RK sport should of sent their extended air dam with the ground effects kit. The only time you don't need the extended air dam is with the OEM stock front ground effects becuase its not soilid , it has opening arounf the front to let air in to the air dam. I tried running a stock air dam with RK sports soilid front ground efffects and same thing ran hot on the highway when summer time came around and finally I blew the top radiator hose. So your going to have to go with the RK air dam which sits about 2" lower than stock.
                    Your right! I had stock ground effects and never had an overheating problem. Unfortunately, they were stolen, That's why I got RK sports. I going to check prices on RK air dam. Do you think would be a good idea to just screw a piece of plastic to the dam 2" lower?
                    Thanks man!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X