" Air Dam " - Cannot find on RockAuto? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" Air Dam " - Cannot find on RockAuto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Air Dam " - Cannot find on RockAuto?

Discovered what caused my weird noise after running over a huge piece of truck tire tread last night on the highway. I already identified the trucking firm to seek reimbursement for my repair costs. Apparently the 3.8L does not overheat with it cracked but I'd like to find a replacement asap.

So I'll put you guys to work...http://rockauto.com/

Help a fellow V6'er out ? ;) It's the most beat up part on F-Bodies besides the flying rocks towards our foglight assemblies. :rolleyes:

I can't seem to find the correct name for this part under RockAuto's site. Air Dam leads me to the lowermost vented grille part that RS models came with.

Doing my oil change next week so I'll duct tape it for now lol.

GM part numbers welcome. I haven't sourced one from a junkyard yet.

See you guys later, I'm late for work already...

Oh yeah, my 2002 SS has the same exact part I noticed so I figured one from a '96 or '02 would work.
    Last edited by 96RS Alex; 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM. Reason: Peeked under my Black 2002 35th Anniversary SS :)
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Re: " Air Dam " - Cannot find on RockAuto?

yea it will be a dealer only item other than a junkyard. Nobody makes those aftermarket so rockauto for example will not carry it. gmpartsdirect.com is where to check
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Hawk's Thridgen Parts probably has some - or TransAm Creations.
      Leonard
      www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
      sigpic

Comment

Part# 10229657 will be like $30 or so... and the p/n is the same for 93-02
        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Long as someone else is paying

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...torairdam.aspx

Comment

mine is missing and i live in southern Arizona and even with the ac and in town stop and go traffic i have never even gotten it to over heat.or even run hotter then it should be. Maybe i'm just lucky but obviously i can say in my experience it's not needed

Comment

Originally posted by accident_prone247 View Post
              mine is missing and i live in southern Arizona and even with the ac and in town stop and go traffic i have never even gotten it to over heat.or even run hotter then it should be. Maybe i'm just lucky but obviously i can say in my experience it's not needed
              Soon your water hoses will bust on you if you cont. to run without it when its in the 90's or 115's. Its not good at all to run without it for long periods of time, its on there for a reason. I run RK sports extended air damm just to get more air flowing to the radiator.
              Last edited by ssms5411; 04-30-2010, 07:29 AM.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Here you go , took me 2 mins. :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-02...item3eff33f891
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Saw the Ebay lists last night, used ones ranging from $15 to new at $50 plus shipping and that new one you found SSMS, thanks. The chrome one on Ebay looks snazzy but hella expensive! :D

I have the day off today to source one from a junkyard, called a few pick & pulls to see what condition they're in. Otherwise I'll go buy new and hand over the receipt to the trucking companys safety dept. They agreed as long as I showed them the pic for reimbursement.

I still think that composite plastic part should be available no matter what! Someone could make good money with the right tooling or plastic molding machinery experience.

It's actually called a Lower Radiator Air Deflector to be technical.

Credit to all who shared their input here. :tup:
                  Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

yeah you're probably right ssms although it's been good for 3 years so far and i check everything religously so i haven't worried about it to much yet. i figured it would want to over heat but the engine never gets above the 210 mark so i figure it's normal temp on the hoses. although i would like to get one on since im' going turbo and i'm concerned with the intercooler being added so thanks for the links even if they weren't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by accident_prone247 View Post
                      yeah you're probably right ssms although it's been good for 3 years so far and i check everything religously so i haven't worried about it to much yet. i figured it would want to over heat but the engine never gets above the 210 mark so i figure it's normal temp on the hoses. although i would like to get one on since im' going turbo and i'm concerned with the intercooler being added so thanks for the links even if they weren't for me.
                      I had RK sports front ground effects and it was splitting(this was about 6 years ago) so I put my stock one back on and it was fine for winter, then summer hit and my temp was about 210+ while crusing and idle, before it would run alot cooler around 200 and under with the lower RK Sport air dam, so I pulled up to a house we were buying and the car didn't over heat or anything but we came back out and there was water all under my car ,popped the hood and the upper hose had split. So got that fixed and called RK Sport and they sent me a new one for like $80 shipped and never had problems with my hoses since.

Comment

yeah i'll have to look into the rk sport one then. sounds like it's the perfect one for a turbo set up. yeah if the day isn't 90+ my car doesn't run above the 200 mark. and if it's around 70 my car only runs at the 180 mark. which funny story when driving to washington this last winter my car ran at around 160 all the way up there and while i was up there. i was concerned since my thermo is the 180 although it really didn't have any affect on the milage like i thought it would.

just realized that you said front ground effects which i have a firebird. so i guess i'll just get a stock air dam or make my own

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X