radiator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator question

hey ya'll, i need to ask a question, i did look for a "how to" link of some sort on here so my appoligies if i've over looked it, but any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appriciated, i have a '98 camaro with the 3.8 & i need to look into changing out my radiator myself, i've read in both the haynes & chiltons manuals (& we all know how realiable those things are-lol!) that you have to UnHook the Air Conditioning Lines on the '98 model & Take It Out From Underneath??? it just seems like there should be a way for it to come out from the topside & without unhooking the a/c lines? btw-she's an automatic if that makes a differance (read; tranny cooler lines) ...just wondering if anyone who's done it before had any input or advice cause from my experance the chiltons/haynes manuals ofter overcomplicate things-hoping this is the case here--thanks
    Last edited by heavychevy383; 04-17-2010, 07:07 AM.

Re: radiator question

...bump

Comment

A Google search revelaed these:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4487132_repl...vy-camaro.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...or_1996_camaro

I've removed radiators before on automatic and manual transmissions from quite a few different makes/models over the years, and I've never had to disconnect the A/C lines in any of them.

When I pulled the radiator from my '96 Camaro 3.8l to have it thoroughly cleaned by a shop (because of the damn dexcool sludge!), it came out with relative ease.
      ...Although, it was an M5, so I didn't have to worry about the trans lines.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heavychevy383 View Post
        hey ya'll, i need to ask a question, i did look for a "how to" link of some sort on here so my appoligies if i've over looked it, but any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appriciated, i have a '98 camaro with the 3.8 & i need to look into changing out my radiator myself, i've read in both the haynes & chiltons manuals (& we all know how realiable those things are-lol!) that you have to UnHook the Air Conditioning Lines on the '98 model & Take It Out From Underneath??? it just seems like there should be a way for it to come out from the topside & without unhooking the a/c lines? btw-she's an automatic if that makes a differance (read; tranny cooler lines) ...just wondering if anyone who's done it before had any input or advice cause from my experance the chiltons/haynes manuals ofter overcomplicate things-hoping this is the case here--thanks
        You thinking of the ac condenser that sits in front of the radiator. Once you take off the plastic wind deflector that sits over the radiator you can simply pull up on the condenser to seperate it from the rad. Its only held on by a couple of tabs.

Comment

Just wondering, do you need a radiator?
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

the condenser is not attached to the radioter....4 tabs thing holds them together..its not dificult but have a six pack close by.....

Comment

yeah...i think im probally due for a radiator, its full of that, as hockeyman called it, that d**n dexicool sludge! was just wondering if its something i should try to do at home in the driveway or something i should try to do on the lift at my buddys garage-thats why i was wondering if i could take it out from "topside?" or if it had to come out from the bottom of the car? ...sounds like it has to come out from underneath? right? -as always, thanks for the help & the good advice! yall rock! ...i probally wouldve done struck a match & collected the insurance money if it werent for you all! (haha!)
              Last edited by heavychevy383; 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

its on an ls1, but it should be the same exact thing..

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/12171575-post2.html

Comment

cool...thanks a bunch!

Comment

Very easy to do,get new hoses clamps and premixed coolant or make sure you use distilled water.

I did mine last summer.

I got a Spectra Premium #CU1485 the core was about twice as thick as the factory POS.

Took me a couple of hours.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X