Replaced spark plug + wires. Now I hear a weird whine? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced spark plug + wires. Now I hear a weird whine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced spark plug + wires. Now I hear a weird whine?

Replaced my spark plugs with NGK TR55s and MSD 8.5mm wires and I now hear this weird whine during idle and low throttle.

What might be causing this?
    99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Re: Replaced spark plug + wires. Now I hear a weird whine?

Electrical interference. Did you route the passenger side correctly? They do run rightNEXT to the alternator.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

p/s pump?

Comment

i checked the wires and they're away from the alternator (routed behind the engine oil cap). I'm guessing it could be electrical interference cause I didn't use the wire holders. Would a spark plug wire touching another spark plug wire cause interference?
        99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Comment

If the wires or plugs are not resistor type, they will make noise in the stereo.

Comment

It's not from the stereo, its from the engine compartment.

After rearranging some wires, the sound seemed to have gone away. Not sure exactly what I did but I used the wire seperators to organize them a bit and that seemed to have done the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by benoh with camaro View Post
              It's not from the stereo, its from the engine compartment.

After rearranging some wires, the sound seemed to have gone away. Not sure exactly what I did but I used the wire seperators to organize them a bit and that seemed to have done the trick.
              High voltage wires can induce voltage in near by objects. Its how farmers used to steal electricity from low hung power lines, a simple grid of wire strung back and fourth would pick up enough voltage to run equipment. Same will happen with spark plug wires. Not using the wire separators can cause a loss of voltage in one wire, and an induced voltage in another wire and can cause mis-fire. Use the OE wire looms for best performance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                3 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X