Installed junkyard engine, have some questions. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed junkyard engine, have some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed junkyard engine, have some questions.

My original 3.4 engine's bearings failed, and being as tight on money as I am atm, I had to bite a bullet and buy a cheap-higher mileage 3.4 from a junkyard.

The engine is in the car now, and it runs. (open cast manifolds, need to install my headers again.) But I am wondering a few things.

1st, it doesn't idle. dies everytime you let off gas. I havent ran it long, maybe 40 seconds or so, just enough to make sure it works enough to back it out of the shop so business can resume till after hours.

Any sensors unhooked that could cause that?

Second, what do you guys think should be my first maintenance jobs for it? I REALLY want to squeeze out as many miles as I can. I CANNOT afford to drop this engine.

Right now I have NAPA 10-30 High Mileage in it. Still have 1/2 quart till full, any additives that'll do wonders?

I did prime the engine before starting it, and I did this by putting new filter and oil in, and leaving injectors and ignition unhooked and cranked till I had oil pressure, did this three times while I buttoned up everything else.

So basically, what would you guys do to make it last as long as possible?

Re: Installed junkyard engine, have some questions.

you dont need to use high mileage oil in roller cam engines, a regular oil should work fine.

sensors not being plugged in can def. cause it to stall when there is no throttle, all that really matters now is that it runs.

DO NOT use any type of additive on an engine you know nothing about.

if you want the engine to last as long as possible, all you really need to do is change the oil on it frequently, and dont beat on it. The main cause of bearing failure is usually a bad gasket leaking coolant into the engine, or not doing enough oil changes.

Comment

Its the 3.4 so its flat tappet cam.
      The other engine died because fuel diluted oil via two bad injectors. Lack of response to cure problem in a timely manner is at fault, not a bad engine.

I changed oil every 3000 miles, and most of my driving was highway.

And yea, this camaro will probably be passed by prius's for sometime :P I really want to save up, and when I can put it in a garage for some time, have enough money to really do what I want. Not just band aiding it constantly.

Comment

Unless I misunderstood you, the cam in it isnt a full roller..

Also! any idea what sensor could lead towards no idle?
        Last edited by Bandit127; 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM.

Comment

First make sure all sensors are hooked up. Second you may need to reset the computer, i believe you do this by cycling the key on and off a couple times waiting for the gauge needles to move. Then start the car and hold the RPMs up over 2,000rpms for 20 seconds. That worked for quite a few cars I have fixed in the past BUT never on one of these cars.

Comment

The RPMs one might be it, I remember my car before not idling unless if you do that. I figured it was just a relearn cycle. Being as I havent ran it long at all that very well could be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit127 View Post
              The RPMs one might be it, I remember my car before not idling unless if you do that. I figured it was just a relearn cycle. Being as I havent ran it long at all that very well could be it.
              Hopefully that does it.

Comment

Did you swap over your known good electronics, or are you running the sensors that came with the junkyard engine? I ended up having to replace the MAF and electronic throttle body on my 2000. If it won't hold an idle, maybe IAC?
                <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I don't know what sensors the 3.4 has, but my guess would be either the MAF, IAC, or the TPS.

A heavily clogged Throttle Body can cause all kinds of idle problems too. The butterfly plate can get clogged with black carbon buildup and restrict the air trying to pass by it. Thus very poor idling or stalling.
                  sigpic

Comment

I carried over my heavily cleaned & painted upper plenum. It runs nicely though! The idle cleared up with what I'm guessing to be just a sitting-for-so-long issue. Have a misfire, but I pulled a wire out of my plug wire. So, I'm 99% sure thats it.

Pacesetter headers installed, K&N cold air, but not really cold air anymore. I'll upload a pic tomorrow of my engine for you guys.

Solo, I tried to see how fast I could install the pacesetter headers, and starting at 6:00pm right after work hours in the shop, I had the headers torqued and bolted, and exhaust hung by 9:00pm.

Thus, 13 hour monday, and I am exhausted!

Old pressure is steady, had a tranny line leak but I solved that.
                    Engine has more power than my other engine, some hills that required downshift barely even phased this one. So I think my power hunger is satisfied for awhile. :)

I'll try and do a write-up on how to do this engine swap easily. Because I figured a few tricks, (more common sense, but anyways) that really made it easy, just time consuming.

Very happy to have my camaro back, instead of driving a friggin 4 cyl S10.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X