Head Gasket Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket Advice

Well just found out from my mech what I feared, I have a leaking (blown) head gasket (not a lot of smoke coming out back, and was just trying to find the leak, which turned out to be the lower intake, wanted to know if it was the intake of the plastic 90 in-front) so now I need to do a gasket job.:cry: Never done one of these, but there is a first for everything. I am sure this will only be one of many questions, but can anybody suggest a good gasket brand, or maybe more importantly which brands to avoid. The poor bird has 150K on it and its been good, plus body and interior are still good, just don't want to get rid of her. Don't think changing gaskets scare me that much, but is it worth while to figure out how to rebuild the Heads also. yes I plan to have the heads checked and milled, and I would like to make sure that I do all the smart things. so if there are any suggestion I am listening.

Thanks

Re: Head Gasket Advice

I'd get Cometic metal gaskets and use copper spray...
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

will look into it, read a couple about the copper spray, thanks

Comment

I bought the absolute cheapest gasget set i could find on ebay and used that. After 6 months of hard driving I cheaked compresion and was within 5 psi on all cilinders. I did buy a better gasget for the headers though, i didint want to use a paper one. I think the main thing is making sure everything is perfectly clean! and be carfull when your putting the heads back on not to scratch your gasget.

Comment

I used Fel-Pro on my last car and they worked well.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

i would go with felpro.

you dont need copper/expensive head gaskets IMO unless you are running serious compression.

my other camaro was running 12.5:1 comp with a regular felpro head gasket and it was completely fine.

Comment

The Felpro permatourqe's are an excellent stock replacment.
              Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, think I am going to go with the Felpro option. Hoping to start working on the car this weekend, I will try to post pics of the job as I go, probably going to take some time to do as I have limited time to work on things.

Comment

So, I got the upper and lower intakes off, and will start to remove the valve covers and heads either tomorrow or Friday (only been able to work for about 1 to 1.5 hours in the evening). will try to post some pics, but it is not that pretty in there.

Comment

Once you tear down the engine, replace the head bolts with studs. I have always recommended this.
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird
                    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

If you have time and money, get the heads P&P'd while you've got everything apart. This is an excellent opportunity to get it done!
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

well just want to give an update. Finally got the heads off yesterday, it is a mess in there so really glad I did this now. Planned on talking to the machine shop what it would cost to P&P once I know the heads are still good. wondering if anybody has any tricks that could help in getting things back together. going to spend sometime cleaning things before I put it all back together. Just as a future thought, after I get it back together I plan to run it for about 300 then seafoam it, any other thoughts?

Comment

Just dropped the Heads off at the machine shop last night, the good news is that the initial test does not seem to indicate that they are cracked. Going to go head and get a valve job done while they are there. Should get them back by the end of the week and I can start to re-assemble the car

Comment

To be safe run somthing like felpro's permatorque head gaskets. They are more forgiving in regards to deck surface. Some head gaskets like cometics mls or felpro's steel shim gaskets require a deck surface to be extremely flat and to have been machined to RA 50 or smoother. Lay a straight edge across the block and stick a feeler gauge in there. If you can fit anything over .003 of an inch, you might need to deck your block.
                            69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

So two new thought, first what is the best way to clean the block to insure a good seal, everything is off, but worried about getting garbage in the engine. Second, just found out that one of the heads has two cracks, :cry: found some local heads off a '99 3800. The machine shop is going to clean, verify and check everything. just want to get the poor girl back together.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X