Will a turbo kill mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a turbo kill mileage?

Thinking about sticking either a turbo or supercharger in the old workhorse. A buddy a mine who owned a 97 RS told me it would cut my gas mileage in half, because "more air intake means more gas consumption." If that's so, then why do cold air kits claim to improve fuel economy?

Anybody got any ideas?

Re: Will a turbo kill mileage?

Gas mileage is 50% car and 50% you. It all depends how you drive. People told me my 4.10 gears would kill my gas... nope, then they told me the cam would kill my gas...nope. I baby the car so I get around 27mpg in the city. As long as you stay out of boost on a turbo you should get the same mileage, maybe a tiny bit worse if you have bigger injectors and such.
    \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

i have heard from those with turbos that it will actually increase your mileage as long as you stay out of boost.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

As long as you are not "on" it 24/7 you should be fine.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

A turbo will take your engine's effeciency way up, and a effecient engine gets better gas milage, now when you stand on it im sure the added fuel intake will kill you but as long as your not on it all the time you'd be fine

You should talk to the guys in the FI section, they can tell you from personal expeirence, but they'll probably tell you that if you have to ask your not ready to turbo, you should go read up on FI for about 2 months straight, then consider it
          K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

also the car wont be so underpowered, which will help with mileage, also it depends on the size of the turbo, if it spools really fast you'll be in boost more meaning more fuel is consumed, something that doesnt "really" spool until you put it to the floor would be ideal for mileage
            91 Mustang LX 2.3 Turbo - T5<br />-daily driver, 210hp/300ft-lbs (outdated)<br />94 Ranger Splash 2.3 Turbo - T5<br />-serious build up, shooting for 400+hp<br />95 Camaro 3.4 auto -hers<br />-she\'s workin on it

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
              i have heard from those with turbos that it will actually increase your mileage as long as you stay out of boost.
              same here
              Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Here is a method to cut your gas mileage 5%. It is already incorporated into the Prius and will be in new cars.
                When you get to an intersection you know will be a long light...TURN OFF THE ENGINE. When you are waiting for someone at a shopping center, airport, train station....TURN OFF THE ENGINE.
                Some guy here in Florida last week stopped at a 711 to get something.
                He left his SUV in the parking lot with the engine running (burning $3.00 gas)...some young guy jumped in and took it. Fortunately the police caught the guy and recovered the guys SUV.
                If you burn gas only to make the car move forward, you will burn less of it.
                Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarborBlkv6
                  Here is a method to cut your gas mileage 5%. It is already incorporated into the Prius and will be in new cars.
                  When you get to an intersection you know will be a long light...TURN OFF THE ENGINE. When you are waiting for someone at a shopping center, airport, train station....TURN OFF THE ENGINE.
                  yea but then you use other components way more than you would normally. my idea, COAST. use your brakes as little as possible, because all they do is reverse the process of accelerating aka using gas.
                  Dave:
                  00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                  97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I suppose turning off my engine might help my mileage, but I bet it'd kill either my starter or my flywheel. I think the guy earlier had a point when he said use the brakes as little as possible, and coast as much as possible. Does constant use of cruise control help?
                    Last edited by Atreus21; 06-03-2006, 01:36 PM.

Comment

they are halo headlights. search on ebay.
                      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

you can probably do a better job than the cruise.
                        turbos were invinted for diesel fighter airplanes, in WWI, specifically for long distance flights. if you have very very little boost it will help gas mileage.
                        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                          you can probably do a better job than the cruise.
                          turbos were invinted for diesel fighter airplanes, in WWI, specifically for long distance flights. if you have very very little boost it will help gas mileage.
                          they were invented before world war I, and their purpose was to give planes higher altitudes. at higher alts the air is less dense, but the turbo crams it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreus21
                            I suppose turning off my engine might help my mileage, but I bet it'd kill either my starter or my flywheel. I think the guy earlier had a point when he said use the brakes as little as possible, and coast as much as possible. Does constant use of cruise control help?
                            Yes, and not only that, but keeping at near-constant speeds helps.. such as when cornering.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCoffee
                              they were invented before world war I, and their purpose was to give planes higher altitudes. at higher alts the air is less dense, but the turbo crams it in.
                              yea, that too, I had the article on it, but my room looks like a mechanic's room. ;)
                              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X