No announcement yet.

Finally went turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 3” SS hood, had to get a 2.5” cowl hood which was almost a grand. It’s a Hardwood, just have to look where the turbo sits and make sure it will clear.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What I did to figure out where the turbo hit was look at where the hood struts attach to the hood if it is not indented just after that then you’ll have problems with a bigger turbo. That’s on a 93-97 hood, don’t know about 98-02 hood’s, might have more clearance. Like on the 3” SS hood the cowl only started at the cowl but didn’t go all the way down. The 2.5” Harwood started at the cowl and then went all the way down. If there’s no indent at the stock supports it won’t fit a aftermarket or bigger turbo on the stock 93-97 hoods. Again don’t know about 98-02.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 03-03-2023, 12:17 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Another problem is the turbo itself, and it’s size they say you can use bigger turbos but that’s bull$hit , mine was maybe a half inch bigger on the compressor side and wouldn’t clear the hood, That’s only a GT35r, I emailed them before I bought the kit and they said no problem. Emailed them after the install, no response. Cost me over $1000 to remedy the problem.
        I fixed mine with a hammer tbh

Comment

On the 93-97 hoods the support is in the way, so no hammering will work, bought a stock hood for $50, cut the hood and added a scoop. Didn’t want to cut my 3” SS hood, sold it for $400, got a hood that would fit and look good, the Harwood 2.5” did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbodude View Post

I fixed mine with a hammer tbh
            You have a pic of your hood?

Comment

You have a pic of your hood?
              I can get one later but I just had to mash down the one support that hit the turbo.

Comment

Fiberglass hoods not a option bending and didn’t want to mess up a $400 SS hood, bought a stock one for $50 and had to cut a hole to clear the compressor side and hot side. Looked like crap so eventually got the Hardwood 2.5” hood, so much better and can run a bigger turbo in the future, I got no response from the seller of the kit and they still list that you can run a bigger turbo. So I think they are crappy sellers. I should of just had the hot side made for $1500 and saved so money.

Comment

Yeah I deleted my EGR in 2002. I ran a -10an line from the turbo to the pan. Right above the low oil sensor. You want at least a -10an line so you don’t have any oil backing up. Then just tee off the oil pressure sensor with a -4an line to the turbo. Yes Bov gets a line and if there is a top and bottom vac line on the wastegate , bottom vac. to manifold top stays open or you hook it to a boost controller for more boost.
                  Have you had any issues with running the wastegate signal from the manifold ? I've been reading allot of threads saying it's better for the wastegate to run it off the compressor housing, that the wastegate diaphragm should never see vacuum, boost only . With my holden intake I've got a few extra vacuum ports so it would be easier to run the WG off that, instead of having to drill and tap the compressor for a new fitting.

Comment

I’ve run it off the TB port where the evap ran from, running it off the manifold is good , it will still see vacuum, never heard of vacuum being bad for a wastegate it only lets out a certain amount of exhaust to maintain it’s spring rate. ATP turbo has a threaded vacuum port so you can tap a port on the compressor side, doesn’t have to be on the turbo just in the pipping, I bought one but have never used it, really no point.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-03-2023, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Got the block painted. Used two part ceramic engine paint from eastwood. Just waiting for the crank to come in and I can actually start building.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking good.

Comment

Got the new crank.installed. double checked every journal with the mic, checked all clearances with plastigauge, everything was perfect. Piston install next.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Kid helped install pistons today. Bolted the heads on, and threw the mani up top for inspiration. ( it's not bolted on yet) double roller timing set, ls7 lifters and a push rod length checker are on my next zzp order.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, what rocker arms are you running?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X