No announcement yet.

My turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I was tracing a Mini oil leak I found the 365nm lights worked a little better than the usual 395, this set did me good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M9LY168
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

• Originally posted by zlexiss View Post
      When I was tracing a Mini oil leak I found the 365nm lights worked a little better than the usual 395, this set did me good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M9LY168
      Thanks I’ll check it out.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

• Didn’t feel up to checking on it today, lifted instead. Did start it up and let it warm up to temp. No noise or vibration since setting the idle at 900 rpm’s. But did notice a little vibration when reving. Don’t know if the balance shaft deleted would cause that, still will check the trans mount.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

• Checked the trans mount today, got a couple of half turns, didn’t really feel loose, it’s a poly trans mount so shouldn’t be broken or anything like that. Exhaust looks fine, clears everything fine. Got the car cover on it last night with the cable holding it on through the bottom. Good thing to since it was windy and snowing last night. Probably look at the leak tomorrow or the next day.

Comment

• I think I found the problem, my resivoir was the culprit, I didn’t have a plug on the one side so when it heated up and cooled down it leaked out coolant. Put a plug on it few days ago and it’s just condensation now from the turbo pipes where I was seeing coolant and I’m not losing any coolant anymore. I’ll give it a few more starts and if it’s good I’ll take it for a spin.

Comment

• Also anyone have an idea how aftermarket resivoirs hook up to our 3800’s? It has a spot at the bottom and 2 spots at the top. I plugged the bottom and ran the hose to one of the top ones and plugged the other top one. Any suggestions would help me alot. I think I need the hose to go to the bottom of the res. and block the top ports but I’ll wait and see what people say.
              Last edited by ssms5411; 01-31-2023, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Took off the TB to plug the intake side pcv on the upper intake, only had it plugged on the TB side. Went smoothly but after putting it back together and reving it , I noticed some coolant spraying out one of the coolant hoses off the turbo. Doesn’t leak when at idle just when reving, so going to replace both turbo coolant lines. Might have to take the turbo off , not sure.Went back out to see if it would leak again but it didn’t leak, double checked the coolant hoses and found nothing. I don’t know now.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 02-01-2023, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• As far as the reservoir routing my mechanic said to put the radiator line at the bottom and let it vent at the top. Going to do it tomorrow. That’s pretty much what I found online too.

Comment

• Got the reservoir line changed and can’t find anymore signs of coolant leaking. I guess will see. Finally going to start tuning again.

Comment

• I never liked how GM designed the reservoir. It's just not efficient.

Anyway, I tried sending you a PM concerning the pump,but it keep saying I wasn't authorized.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                        I never liked how GM designed the reservoir. It's just not efficient.

Anyway, I tried sending you a PM concerning the pump,but it keep saying I wasn't authorized.
                        Yeah, pretty much a pain, I’ll try and PM you my email.

Comment

• Found my Vbands were loose again so trying some red thread locker on them, see how that works out. I think what I saw was condensation from the turbo pipes, that’s why I never found the dye on the ground or anywhere else.

Comment

• Looks like the thread locker worked at idle but we’ll see after some good WOT runs, hopefully this weekend. Almost a week now and coolant is fine and no puddles under the crank pulley so might be good.

Comment

• Didn’t get to it, worked on my moms car and other stuff and rain yesterday then snow today. Ill get it done eventually.lol Should only take a couple of runs to dial in the A/F then might add some timing back. Only at 11-12 degrees.

Comment

• Didn’t get to tuning, snow and rain I hope this winter storms would go away. Have a small oil leak at the oil pressure sensor where I tapped for the oil feed for the turbo. At higher rpm’s , cold my oil psi is 90, hot 20 psi. And cruising 40-60 psi. Waiting on thread sealant and some fittings, going to go ahead and mock up my oil cooler and fan, see if I need to order longer steel braided hoses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X