No announcement yet.

2001 camaro turbo build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow very cool Turbovert01 turbovert01, very tight indeed. I'm sure I could have figured a way to sneak it through. I'm more concerned about overall weight of the car. So removing the exhaust completely was a huge bonus.

The filter will work just fine for the power level I'm looking for. I doubt it would become e restriction until about 700hp. Wont be at the level anytime soon lol. This setup will be good for 430whp. Not sure I'll want more than that for road course.

Comment

Be careful with filter sizing for turbo applications it has a different formula than N/A cars, they suck ALOT of air lol. A book I read called "real world high-performance turbocharger systems" gives this formula:

CFM = (Pboost/14.7 + 1)*CID*MAXRPM/3456

So, for example my application would require:

CFM = (12/14.7 +1 )*231*6500/3456
      = 789.12 CFM required for my application

In terms of K& N filters the smallest size you can go at 4 inch size without ever restricting the engine is part#
      RF-1027:
      Dimensions: 6.5inches wide, 8 inches long
      CFM = 829.38

Even part number Rf-1026 can be restrictive at high RPMS for my specific application.
      RF-1026:
      Dimensions: 6inches wide, 8 inches long
      CFM = 753.98

I can't tell your exact dimensions but keep this in mind, it might be hard to fit a properly sized air filter but definitely worth it.
      Last edited by Turbovert01; 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Interesting, very informative.
        I dont remember my filter dimensions off the top of my head. I'll have to look into that formula.

Thankyou Turbovert01

Comment

Got started on the Battery relocation.
          A quick trip to the local auto zone and I had 90% of everything I needed.

Removed the spare tire and jack. Not like I'll ever use it anyways.... made a custom mounting plate for the battery box. Secured the battery box nicely to the plate. Started routing the battery cable. I'll need to find exactly where it is I'm going to go through the firewall , not quite there yet.
          Attached Files

Comment

That looks great, I was considering moving the battery too, how much money was it all said and done for everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Im_Brudrey View Post
              Got started on the Battery relocation.
              A quick trip to the local auto zone and I had 90% of everything I needed.

Removed the spare tire and jack. Not like I'll ever use it anyways.... made a custom mounting plate for the battery box. Secured the battery box nicely to the plate. Started routing the battery cable. I'll need to find exactly where it is I'm going to go through the firewall , not quite there yet.
              You can run the power wire on the passenger side, I have a 0 gauge wire running back for my stereo on the passenger side before that I had it running on the drivers side after making a huge hole in the fire wall, didn't have to on the passenger side.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah I routed in on the passenger side. Nice clean tucked under the carpet

Comment

Originally posted by Im_Brudrey View Post
                  Yeah I routed in on the passenger side. Nice clean tucked under the carpet
                  Cool.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

An addition to the battery system install.

installing a shut off switch with a positive post. Just in case I ever need to jump start it. I'll never have to take the trunk apart to do so now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, I've been thinking of doing the same for a cutoff switch, I have a short somewhere so have to start it and let it run every otherday to keep it charged.

Comment

That's a clean install - where are you running the cutoff switch exterior wise? Back when I was looking at doing this I couldn't decided on a good location that wouldn't get tampered with on the street. I have seen both the berger panel and rear tail lights used as a switch location. The rear tail light appealed to me as I could get a spare for when I am not at the track.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

LETZRIDE I'm going to install it under the hood. I have it more for storage reasons than anything. Im also going to relocate the hood release to an undisclosed location. That way I can leave it overnight somewhere and never have to worry.

Made a nice little negative post aswell since my last post.

I really take a step back on everything I do. There's a purpose for everything. When I build a car every peice works together for what the car is going to be used for. If I dont like how it ended up , I'll start over and try another way. I went back a forth with this battery setup. So far I'm happy with it....
                          Attached Files

Comment

It's a really nice setup - the only thing I would be careful of is if you plan to race it at the track. At least around here it is a requirement (I think an NHRA one as well) that any battery located to the trunk have a shutoff switch on the rear bumper for safety.

I still want to relocate the battery to the back myself, so I am interested to see your final outcome!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Really .. I didnt know that. Thankyou LETZRIDE

I am going to race it. That's 100% why I'm building it. But not for drag race. The suspension is completely setup for road racing. It doesnt really fall into any spec class , so for the most part it will be a track day and time attack car. With the occasional canyon run lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X