Found a Double Sided Serpentine for Our Powerdyne - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a Double Sided Serpentine for Our Powerdyne

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found a Double Sided Serpentine for Our Powerdyne

My double sided belt came in today and I compared it with my old 103.5" Dayco belt and they seem to be the same size.

I see one problem though. This belt is not as flexible as the one sided one. So it's going to be really tight.

I also have an old steele 3" 8 ribbed pulley that I plan on using on my PD. But I'm going to have to wait till next month, because I am trying to wrap it up with my 2.8 Bird.

Watazz... I'll take a closer look at my 2.8 WP pulley and see if this is a possibility for our 3.8. I was planning on posting about this on General section.

Comment

Tech at asp said he could probably make a ribbed wp pulley for around $125

Comment

Has anyone else had a problem with this thing squealing? Only after running the car for a few miles does it begin to squeal. I don't think it's slipping because I still see full boost. And it squeals sitting regular driving.

My pulleys were misaligned at one point but that has been fixed.
        Any other ideas? I'm also pretty sure it's not too loose or too tight.

Comment

Huh, I wonder if that's from the WP??? It did lost some belt traction I bet.

Mine hasn't done that, but then again I was gone for over a month and I haven't driven the car since. I'm changing my coolant as we speak and then I'll drive it around for a long distance and see if it'll do that.

Comment

didnt think about that but I think its a strong possibility. I would have gotten a grooved one made if it didnt cost $125

Comment

I haven't been on here in a few years. I am very pleased to see that someone makes this 2 sided 103 " belt. I ordered it but have a few questions that maybe someone could help me out with.
              1) Is a 6 rib idler for the adjustment pulley required? If so where can I find one?
              2) For those that use this belt, what size 6 rib pulley are you running on your powerdyne?
              3) Looks like the stock smooth water pump pulley should work out, Your opinion?

I hope I did this post/reply right. If not sorry.
              1998 Firebird 3.8 A4<br />Whisper Lid, K&N Filter, <br />8mm Taylor Wires, <br />Unscreened M.A.F.<br />Flowmaster Cat Back<br />3.42 LSD, Edge 3000 T.C.<br />180 Therm., Corvette servo<br />Super Sucker Ram Air<br />1.80:1 Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms

Comment

1) Is a 6 rib idler for the adjustment pulley required? If so where can I find one?

Yes. You can get them at any autoparts store. I got mine at Autozone.

2) For those that use this belt, what size 6 rib pulley are you running on your powerdyne?

I actually have an 8 ribbed pulley that I got from Vortech SC, but a 6 rib should work fine. Not sure though if you'll need a spacer, but I think you should be fine.

3) Looks like the stock smooth water pump pulley should work out, Your opinion?

It will slip and you may hear a squeak, but it will be fine.

Just to give you a heads up. If you have Vector Perf. tensioner bracket or RKSport it will be an extremely tight fit and you might not even get it on. Even if you did get it on it will put a lot of tension on your other accessories once your engine heats up and the belt contracts, which may cause damage, but if you have the bracket from GVP I think you should be OK.

I have the original Vector Perf or RKSport and what I plan on doing is having that bracket cut in half and weld a 1 inch spacer. I have no plan on doing that right now, because I'm getting married next month.

Also, it will be tight to get the belt in-between the PW pulley and the Crank. The space between them is very small, but it will go in there. Good luck.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	62347_345593418917041_41204782_n.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1538936

I had the Powerdyne's pulley tensioner extended by 1". If you are trying to install a Double Sided Belt you probably already know that it is near impossible to do. Even if you did succeed installing it it is extremely tight and once the belt is heated up from the use of your V6 F-body car it contracts and it puts a lot of stress on your accessories.

If you have the RKSport or Vector Performance bracket this is a must to do. If you have GVP you are fine. Having your tensioner bracket extended like this will cost you probably around $50-$60. Since I know the machine shop owner he gave it to me for $40.
                  Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 01-24-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Looks good, how much boost are you seeing with the new belt? I know when I had mine I would get alot of slippage when using smaller pulleys on the powerdyne.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I get about 7psi Steve on a 6lbs pulley. That's probably as high as I want to go since I only have a soft tune.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X